SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    New modification to the Scorpion EVO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New modification to the Scorpion EVO Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
Ever since the EVO carbine came out I had wondered if CZ would be selling the longer handguard separately ... last week I checked in at the CZ store and, by golly they were offering a carbine length handguard for the pistol ... text said it would allow a 1.5" suppressor ... it was $99 so I ordered it, and it arrived today!

The standard pistol handguard is 6" and the extended one is 11.5 ... as you can see it has picitinny on the top and M-Lock on the sides and bottom.

Its pictured with my Octane 45 and it mounts to the barrel with a 3-lug adapter from TROS ... with the suppressor installed it measures 17" from the bolt face, of which about 8" is suppressor.

I think I like it! It doesn't change the over all length with the suppressor installed but it does give a longer sight radius.

I am considering ordering an extended charge handle but I'd like one that retracts, similar to how HK-9X weapons do.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 3893 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Very nice! A shorty suppressor would look awesome on that thing.

When in doubt, pinky out.

Posts: 2613 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
So question, how are you going to screw/torque on the 3-lug adaptor to the end of the barrel? Reason I ask is because the OD of the 3-lug adaptor is larger than the ID of the barrel but, which means you can't screw it on then put the handguard and barrel nut on. This is what I've been having issues figuring out.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3581 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It sure would Andy, and when the wait times get shorter, or if the hearing protection bill passes and eliminates suppressors from NFA I plan to get one ... In the meantime I'm going to hold off as it seems advances in suppression are being made all the time and who knows what the next year will bring ...it would be nice to get a compact suppressor and not have it be obsolete before I can bring it home!

SigM4-
The handguard comes with a new nut

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
SigM4-
The handguard comes with a new nut

Realize that, but the nut internal diameter is the same as the previous nut. The outside diameter of the lugs on the adapter are larger than the ID of the barrel nut. Thus, you can't screw on the 3-lug adapter, then slide the handguard on, and slip the barrel nut over the 3-lug. The order has to be handguard -> barrel nut -> 3-lug. The issue becomes how you reach that far down into the handguard (and with what?) to torque down the 3-lug adapter with the handguard in place. Not a lot of room to work with there.

Posts: 3581 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I put the handguard on first, the same way it came apart. Then I made a longer spacer and use the 3-lug adapter instead of the nut, I did this while I was waiting on the new handguard ... Then when I put it together I used a 7/8" deep-well socket which fit inside the handguard to install the adapter. Had I known it came with a new hex nut, I'd have saved myself some time and not bothered with the longer spacer.

I'm concidering buying the new barrel that has the original thread as well as the 1/2x28 threads like the new guns have, that way I can use a long flash hider or a shorter direct thread suppressor on it.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I put the handguard on first, the same way it came apart. Then I made a longer spacer and use the 3-lug adapter instead of the nut, I did this while I was waiting on the new handguard ... Then when I put it together I used a 7/8" deep-well socket which fit inside the handguard to install the adapter. Had I known it came with a new hex nut, I'd have saved myself some time and not bothered with the longer spacer.

I'm concidering buying the new barrel that has the original thread as well as the 1/2x28 threads like the new guns have, that way I can use a long flash hider or a shorter direct thread suppressor on it.

Got it. What 3-lug adapter are you using? I've been looking for one that I could install with a socket, but most just have the wrench flats.

Of course this all may be for naught as I already ordered the HBI free-floated pistol handguard. Plan is to chop a pistol barrel to 4.5" once my Form 1 comes back.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I got mine from www.trosusa.com ... It wasn't listed on their site so I emailed them because at the time no one else was making them.