SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Dead Air Wolfman v SilencerCo Omega 9K?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dead Air Wolfman v SilencerCo Omega 9K? Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
I'm looking for a suppressor for my two 9mm SBRs (an AR 8" bbl and a 4" bbl B&T GHM9 Compact) that will be compatible with my .300 BLK Tavor T-95. I'm really planning on using the .300 BLK with subsonic ammo only, if that makes a difference. The Dead Air Wolfman is a bit more expensive, but has the ability to use the extended "wipes".

This will be my first suppressor and I'm really just getting up to speed on them, so any advice would be appreciated!

I understand that the SilencerCo line is well made and the Omega 9K looks like a good deal that would save me some money. Trying to keep things kinda short, so my overall package lengths will be reasonable.

Project pics to give an idea for size:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
I think you would be very happy with the Wolfman, and they just arrived at Silencer Shop. Being modular you can run it in short or long config. With the Omega 9k you are limited to it always being short. The wipe is a cool idea but you have to really stretch your ears to hear any difference no matter what the dB numbers say. I have a Wolfman and am thinking of getting another. I have a 9K and won't need another but it does sound good on subsonic Blackout. I haven't tried the Wolfman yet on Blackout, it's pretty much on my rrMP5 all the time.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Wolfman and it’s a great can, but I’ve never used the wipe, and really have no desire to do so. The wipe gets “shot out” in about 20 rounds, you aren’t allowed to have spare wipes lying around (you’re allowed to only have one at a time), and accuracy is worse, which makes sense since you have something physically rubbing against the bullet on the way out. Also, it makes backpressure worse. A lot of cons for a short term decibel reduction.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My next can will be for a 9mm PCC too so I am sorta in the same boat. I lean towards the Omega 9k because I don't see myself using the extra length on the Wolfman. I might throw in a small wrench for you, I am holding out for the YHM R9 can that is coming out late summer. It looks just like the Omega 9k, uses same thread pitch and is about $350 cheaper to boot.

YHM R9 link

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
The real drawback to any K configuration is you Have to shoot subs. Supers are definitely Not hearing safe !

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
My next can will be for a 9mm PCC too so I am sorta in the same boat. I lean towards the Omega 9k because I don't see myself using the extra length on the Wolfman. I might throw in a small wrench for you, I am holding out for the YHM R9 can that is coming out late summer. It looks just like the Omega 9k, uses same thread pitch and is about $350 cheaper to boot.

YHM R9 link

Thanks. At this point I'm leaning towards the Omega 9k and possibly holding out for the YHM R9 too, for the same reasons. Since I'm concerned about the COVID-19 issues, there's probably going to be a longer delay due to the need for fingerprinting and need for some more passport type pics. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You do realize that Suppressors get REALLY Hot, right? Swapping between the Tri-Lug Mount and the ASR Mount (assuming that's how you intend to mount) in the middle of a range session seems a lot less than ideal. As such, it's unlikely you'll be shooting the B&T on the same day as the other two SBR's, unless you're planning on spending all day at the range.

IMO the multiple length configurations of a modular Suppressor is VERY Desirable feature and outweighs the add'l cost. You would really be much better served by the Dead Air Wolfman (or the Rugged Obsidian), rather than being locked into performance of a K-length can. Just Sayin... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Since I'm concerned about the COVID-19 issues, there's probably going to be a longer delay due to the need for fingerprinting and need for some more passport type pics. Frown

You can do all that stuff at home, passport pic app and order some fingerprint cards for free.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You really want 2 suppressors for this. A 9MM and a 308 Centerfire.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, you don't need to go anywhere to get your pic and thumbprints done. I just use my cell phone to take a selfie up against the wall in my office. Then use a pdf editor (any should work) to insert the pic into the Form 4. For thumb prints, just order the cards online and use a stamp/ink pad from office max.

Between the suppressors, either is a good call imo. I am a SiCo guy because that's what I started with and am too deep into mounts to change now, but if I wasn't a SiCo guy, I'd be a Dead Air guy. I have one of their Mask 22's and really like it.

The wipes are a complete waste of time, effort and laws imo. I wouldn't even bother. The Omega is rated for 300 super full auto and the Wolfman is only rated for semi auto on 300 supers. I'm not sure that matters unless you're running a binary hard. Wolfman is modular which is nice, but honestly, I never change the configuration on my modular cans.

I can tell you that won't be impressed with 300 supers through the Omega. It's still loud, but it does take the edge off. I only do this to clean it. As Rhino said, if you want to run 300 supers suppressed (which I do a lot), you'll want a dedicated 308 centerfire can. I have not shot a Wolfman, so I can't say how it will handle 300 supers, but I'm guessing not much better.

To me, if you're just starting into suppressors, I'd pick which brand you like better and which one you want to invest in for the long term.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote Omega 9K. It is shorter and lighter than the Wolfman short version. If you need longer, use a .30 can for .300

Posts: 65 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post