SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Thinking of taking the plunge....Silencerco Sparrow worth buying?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of taking the plunge....Silencerco Sparrow worth buying? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I live close to Ky Gun company and I’m thinking about buying the Sparrow they have for $250 right now. This will be my first suppressor and I’m wanting something kind of cheap to see if I’ll like them. Is this a good suppressor to start off with or is there another around that price that you’d recommend? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can't go wrong with a Silencerco. The DeadAir Mask is also a good one, but also more expensive.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure that it is. It’s certainly the cheapest price I’ve seen, but you still have to pay the $200 tax stamp and wait 5-12 months for the paperwork to get filed.

I believe the Sparrow is only good for .22LR, correct? It will be very quiet, but you won’t be able to use it on anything else.

Cheapest cans I’ve seen for larger calibers are more like $400.

Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W Two Tone
Sig Sauer P224 No Longer Nickel 9mm
Sig Sauer P290RS 9mm Two Tone
Sig Sauer 1911 RCS
Sig Sauer P220 SAS Special Configuration
Sig Sauer M400 223/556
Sig Sauer P230SL .380
Sig Sauer P239 SAS Gen1 9mm
Sig Sauer P6 9mm

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcinc
posted Hide Post
Yes go for it. I love mine. It was my first can and I have no regrets.

GeorgiaCarry.org - Life Member

Posts: 143 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: September 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
^^^The Sparrow will handle .22lr, 22mag, 17HMR, and a few other rimfire calibers, along with 5.7x28.

22 cans are always the way to dip your toe into the world of suppressors as they are cheap(er) than centerfire cans, and because subsonic ammo is plentiful for your rimfire hosts. Also, because ammo is cheap it means you’ll shot the snot out of them.

All that said I have *cough* a few *cough* 22 cans (my friend says it’s a sickness) which include a Sparrow. Personally I would steer you towards something other than a monocore design. I thought I was being smart with my first can (Sparrow) in that the monocore design is simple, which it is, but it’s also a pain to clean. The Sparrow also has a lot of first round pop (FRP) on pistols, so it’s somewhat disappointing there. Not to say it’s a bad can, far from it, just that there are other cans out there that are better. One of those being those SilencerCo Spectre II. I also like the DeadAir Mask, the Tactical Solutions Axiom, and am really jonsing for a Rugged Occulus.

Whatever you do just ensure you’re looking at cans with stainless steel or other similar material baffles. The light weight aluminum baffles are great till you go to clean them.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I have a few 22 cans as well. My first one being the Silencerco Sparrow. At the time I purchased it, it was the market favorite but now, I'd highly recommend the Dead Air Mask. The sparrow isn't nearly as easy to clean as they make it seem to be. Its hard to take apart and it is a paid to clean mono core. You really need to do "the dip" and thats a highly toxic method. Also sound wise, moncores have a strong First Round Pop (FRP). If you want a deep tone (which you do) easy to take apart (which you do) and quiet .22 can that can handle anything (which you do) then get you a Dead Air Mask. You won't regret it.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend the Mask, really easy to clean and it sounds great.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
can't speak for the Sparrow personally, although I know they are fantastic cans.

I went with the Mask as well, and the only reason I did that was because my dealer had a Mask in-stock and the Sparrow wasn't. Big Grin

Regardless of what you get, you're on the right train of thought and either one'll serve you well for sure. Definitely a good place to start.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Mask. I have one and it's the most used can I own. Nothing wrong with the Sparrow, but the Mask is a better choice. I've seen them below $400 lately.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I would also recommend the Mask, really easy to clean and it sounds great.

+1

I have two sparrows and two masks and the masks get used all the time now when we go out back to shoot over the sparrows....All about that FRP on handgun hosts...

With the mask unit the neighbors never know we are shooting, with the sparrow - the FRP on the handguns gives up our silent range time...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting link with a video showing some of the popular .22 suppressors. The Sparrow didn't do very well.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...essors-pitted-video/

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swage - Great link and video.....Had I been smarter to review this before I purchased my two Sparrows I could have saved over a grand (counting stamp fees and can costs)....Thanks for posting this......Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have two Armtac cans, two Sparrows,an Osprey Micro, a Gemtech Mist and a DeadAir Mask. $476 for a Sparrow w/ stamp vs. $600 for a Mask; easy decision (Mask, all the way. Worth $124 more by a longshot).

Add to that SiCo's less than ideal financial position and question future longterm, and I'd buy the DA for sure. The DA guys were SiCo before starting the new company.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have both. Kids and I prefer the Mask.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I went with the Mask as well, and the only reason I did that was because my dealer had a Mask in-stock and the Sparrow wasn't. Big Grin
Same exact reason for me. It was during the panic before the rule change, so I didn't want to wait as just about every dealer was out of stock. Very pleased with the Mask.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
You won't regret buying a suppressor.

I don't own a 22lr can so I can't comment, but it sounds like the Mask is the winner.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the DeadAir Mask

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Add to that SiCo's less than ideal financial position and question future longterm, and I'd buy the DA for sure.

'splain, please?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Add to that SiCo's less than ideal financial position and question future longterm, and I'd buy the DA for sure.

'splain, please?

The last quarter of last year their CEO stepped down to spend time with family. They had at least one round of layoffs. Then last week their newly placed CEO and also their President stepped down.

SilencerCo has really been a great pioneer in the NFA world. The Sparrow was game changing when it came out. Now they have the Maxim 9 and Maxim 50...all awesome stuff that nobody else is doing. I don’t want to see them go out of business but it’s pretty clear they have overspent and do not have the sales to make up for it. Whoever their 3rd CEO will be will have to cut expenses so they can keep the company running and also pay down their debt. They may have to to cut employees or their wages, source cheaper materials or reduce/eliminate steps in their manufacturing processes to help do his. I have 3 SiCo cans. They are great. I won’t be buying anymore until they are back on solid ground. A lifetime warranty is worthless if they are not in business. This is some speculation on my part given 2 CEO’s, 1 President and at least 1 round of layoffs in a matter of months. I sincerely hope they can right the ship.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I would recommend something other than a sparrow, if you plan on using it with a pistol. FRP is annoying.

I haven't had to clean it yet, but since I don't have a tumbler, I'll be using the dip. We'll see how it goes.

I've been satisfied and it's been good enough, but had I to do it all over again, I would have chosen something else.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post