SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Transfer Wait Times
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transfer Wait Times Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
it would be great to get an EO that demanded that wait times from application to approval not exceed 30 days

I do not understand why there is a 1 year wait for something as simple as hearing protection

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because there are tens or hundreds of thousands of forms to process and only so many people to do it. The president could executive order all he wanted, but it wouldn't magically create staff that could process the backlog and I'm guessing even if it did, there would be several weeks of training. Wait times are coming down. Individual transfers are about as short as anybody can remember right now. There NFA Tracker website is starting to show a downward trend in trust submissions. It will keep getting better.

The wait sucks. The wait is bullshit. We all know it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Times could be reduced if they did a name search, collect all items on that person, submitted the prints and paperwork for approval at one time. Now they submit one package, the name comes up again in a week and another entire package goes though the same process again, then again. I submitted three packages two weeks apart. It should go through as one bundle, but it doesn't. Even when people put multiple items in one envelop it doesn't get processed at the same time. How many time in a month do they need to send prints out??

Posts: 336 | Location: SE. Florida | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Didn't they decrease the time on form 3 transfers so it's faster from manufacturer/distributor to dealer?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Didn't they decrease the time on form 3 transfers so it's faster from manufacturer/distributor to dealer?

Electronic form 3 transfers were running same day to three days recently.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

IIRC, Form three, dealer to dealer for my F/A M11 took about 6 weeks.

Selling dealer said he had to do a paper form, my dealer also had to a paper form to transfer it to me ... He said he couldn't (maybe he just couldn't figure out how to) do the Eform without it coming to him with the barcode on the form.

Anyway, my dealer got it the first week of September hopefully another 2 months and it'll be outta jail ... If so, total of 8 months

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

IIRC, paper Form three, dealer to dealer for my F/A M11 took about 6 weeks.

Selling dealer said he had to do a paper form, my dealer also had to a paper form to transfer it to me ... He said he couldn't (maybe he just couldn't figure out how to) do the Eform without it coming to him with the barcode on the form.

Anyway, my dealer got it the first week of September hopefully another 2 months and it'll be outta jail ... If so, total of 8 months ... It's getting better! The last suppressors I bought took almost a year

posted Hide Post
All Form 1 and Form 4 transactions are still paper. The barcoding brought out by Silencer Shop and now shared with the industry as a whole is only barcoding the data on the paper form so ATF can put put the form data in their system via a scan instead of hand entering the data.

Electronic Form 3 transactions via eforms is a different animal altogether.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The only reason it takes a year is protecting fed.gov and fed.contractor jobs.

Why else does it take a year for BATFE to do the same background check done by FFLs across America in 2 minutes or less?

As for the argument that trusts or corporations are harder or require more scrutiny that is bullshit because a trust or corporation can buy non-NFA taxed firearms in OTC transactions in minutes. No special review by BATFE apparatkniks required!

So why? Because the fed.gov set up a system apart from NICS 75 years ago and will not change it because there are fed.gov and fed.contractor jobs involved.

Year-long waits are horseshit!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to see a new FFL type that allowed an individual to obtain NFA items immediately, like a C&R for NFA stuff. I mean, a repeal or something would be better, but anything would be good.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
anyone have any idea of the wait times for a 5320.20?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last two 5320.20 forms took right at 5 weeks and they were submitted via email.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
They are getting faster. Just had 3 transfers returned approved. Started them in August last year, got them last month. About 9 months.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just looked and my last transfer was right at 7 months.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator:
They are getting faster. Just had 3 transfers returned approved. Started them in August last year, got them last month. About 9 months.

quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
Just looked and my last transfer was right at 7 months.

Were these forms 1 or 4 ... individual or trust?

I ask because I have a form 4/trust that has been in "the stack" since late August/17

posted Hide Post
Form 4 on a trust (NFALawyers with the 41F amendment) using the Silencershop kiosk.
I don't remember the check cashed date exactly but I think it was 9/11/2017 and the stamp was approved on 3/25/2018.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
Form 4 on a trust (NFALawyers with the 41F amendment) using the Silencershop kiosk.
I don't remember the check cashed date exactly but I think it was 9/11/2017 and the stamp was approved on 3/25/2018.

I'm curious, if the form4 using the Silencershop kiosk are clearing faster than the mail-in types ... mine was a transferable M11 and was not on the barcode type application.

posted Hide Post
This was a Dead Air Mask and I used the original 41F amendment with the "This amendment shall be null and void upon approval of all pending National Firearms Act applications." statement that had been reported to be kicked back on multiple occasions. Mine was not.

When I picked it up at QRF, they said that consistency on that amendment was hit or miss as were times. Some folks were coming in at 7 months others longer. They had no idea as to why when I asked.

Perhaps others can comment on their experience with times using the kiosk.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Have used the Kiosk 2X now, for (2) dead air masks
Once you are setup @ Silencershop believe me it couldn't get any easier.
You pay and everything is put in motion.
My checks cleared within a few weeks of purchase.
Wait time for jailbreak is forthcoming but I am optimistic.

I will buy a can a year with them, it is pretty sweet

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I doubt I'll buy any more suppressors unless/until they drop them from the NFA ... I refuse to wait a year for a muffler again ... but I've got my needs covered with 22LR, 9mm, 45, 223 and 308 ... I'm sure they have come out with better design's but I'm just not going to do it ... its bad enough that 1's and 4's are taking 7, 8 or 9+ months, especially when you already have multiple NFA items. After they have investigated your past and approved you is there really any reason they can't just run a NICS check and be done with it?

Ok ... now I'm ranting to the choir ... {/rant}
Sorry but it really pisses me off the way our tax dollars are wasted on this.