SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Keeping your Thread protectors on
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping your Thread protectors on Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, we did kinda hijack the thread. But I can see exx1976's point, if you're not careful, whatever is on the threads of your barrel will end up on the threads in the can.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Use Vibratite VC3.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-T...admate/dp/B008D6GHY6

It doesn't harden like Loctite, rather it stays as a rubbery polymer once it dries. I have used it on my Osprey 45 with pistols and my MPX and it works perfectly. It provides just enough extra friction to keep the can from coming off unless you want it to.

It's also very easy to clean up the threads with isopropyl alcohol, so you are not going to damage the threads on your can by trying to scrape out old Loctite. It's not high temp rated like Rocksett, but my pistol cans don't get nearly as hot as my semi-auto rifle cans. So the temp range it works in had been just fine for pistols and for thread protectors.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Use Vibratite VC3.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-T...admate/dp/B008D6GHY6

It doesn't harden like Loctite, rather it stays as a rubbery polymer once it dries. I have used it on my Osprey 45 with pistols and my MPX and it works perfectly. It provides just enough extra friction to keep the can from coming off unless you want it to.

It's also very easy to clean up the threads with isopropyl alcohol, so you are not going to damage the threads on your can by trying to scrape out old Loctite. It's not high temp rated like Rocksett, but my pistol cans don't get nearly as hot as my semi-auto rifle cans. So the temp range it works in had been just fine for pistols and for thread protectors.

Was going to post this same thing. I use Vibratite on a lot of applications (handguard screws, BUIS, etc).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I just got my first threaded barrel weapon and have another on the way. What is everyone using to keep the thread protectors on?

I use Teflon tape for thread protectors, and silencers.
It's heat resistant and you can put as much/little you need to get the job done. Cleans off rather easily too.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post