SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Update: Received it. Question about GEMTECH suppressed bolt carrier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: Received it. Question about GEMTECH suppressed bolt carrier Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Does anyone have information and/or opinions about the GEMTECH suppressed bolt carrier (here)?

I don’t want to set up an AR for routine use of a suppressor (at least not now), but would like to use one occasionally on different rifles, and wonder if this would be a good way of doing that while ensuring reliable operation.

-------------------------------

Update:

I received the BCG, but due to the weather and other commitments I haven’t had a chance to try it. Plus my suppressor hasn’t been returned from the upgrade process.

Here, however, is at least a photo of the key showing how the screws are staked as was requested.

Overall, the unit is very nicely machined and finished.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
I have heard about these before, but based on the description I can't figure out what exactly switching the BCG between its two settings does. It just says it slows it down. I just put H2 buffers in all of my suppressed ARs (5.56 & .300 AAC) and they run flawlessly suppressed or unsuppressed. They all have fixed gas blocks and are SBRs as well. Heck, even the .300AAC performs from subsonic to supersonic suppressed or unsuppressed. I have not found a single configuration that they won't perform in.

The Gemtech may be a good piece of kit, but in my experience I think it's uneccesary, and the same outcome can be accomplished at a lower cost.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DevlDogs55, that’s the sort of information I’m seeking.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have one of these in a 12.5" SBR'd 5.56. I also run a JP Precision captured heavy spring in the rifle. As DD pointed out above the heavier buffer weight appears to be more important and by itself does just fine. Truth be told my go-to rifle is an 11.5" BCM that I run an H3 buffer in for simplicity sake.

With the Gemtech BCG I have found though that the recoil impulse is noticeable when switching from the unsuppressed to suppressed setting while shooting with a can. That difference being a slower less violent (as violent as 5.56 can be) recoil. Between swapping springs on the JP unit and changing the setting on the BCG I was able to optimize (to my satisfaction at least) the settings for suppressed and unsuppressed fire with a simple turn of the selector on the BCG.

For me it was a matter of trying out something new vs. any real need. I could have used an adjustable gas block for much the same results. To that end my newest SBR is a 12.5" .308 utilizing a Superlative Arms bleed-off adjustable gas block. Two methods to hopefully achieve the same result.

If I had to guess I'd say they are targeting the casual shooter that wants to shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed without making a lot of changes. Springs and buffer weights might not be a hard concept for most of us, but its still more complicated than selecting "U" or "S" for a novice/entry level guy.

If there are any specific questions or requests I can answer please let me know. I'll be going out to the range tomorrow, if you'd like I can try to get some video showing the recoil shooting this rifle in both settings.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
SigM4, I'm curious as to what happens mechanically in the BCG when you toggle between the two settings. Can you shed some light on that for me, please?

I'm glad you've had good results with it. I run the JP SCS in an H2 configuration for my 300AAC and I love it. I primarily went that route to get the rifle as quiet as possible while shooting subs.

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, too, SigM4. You addressed my specific concern which is to be able shoot reliably both suppressed and unsuppressed with the same rifle, but without having to make modifications that might affect the reliability of the gun in the unsuppressed mode, and without the complication of changing the gas block.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:
SigM4, I'm curious as to what happens mechanically in the BCG when you toggle between the two settings. Can you shed some light on that for me, please?

There is a valve inside the BCG that bleeds off some of the increased back pressure coming down the gas tube as a result of the suppressor and vents it directly through the ejection port instead of letting it drive the BCG backwards. Its almost like moving the adjustable gas block back into the BCG.

Here is a video that highlights the process, you can see some of the added gas being vented out the ejection port in some of his strings of fire.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks, too, SigM4. You addressed my specific concern which is to be able shoot reliably both suppressed and unsuppressed with the same rifle, but without having to make modifications that might affect the reliability of the gun in the unsuppressed mode, and without the complication of changing the gas block.

That was part of my thought process as well. Being able to make the change with no tools and or having to carry alternate springs/buffers around. Its no more difficult than pulling the BCG out and using a fingernail to swap the setting.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to both of you. That video was very informative.

I ordered one and am looking forward to tying it with my existing suppressor that is being modified for a universal mount now.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Bamf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. I like the looks of it.

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
sigfreund, did you receive the bolt carrier?

I'm eager for your initial observations, including the quality of the Carrier Key staking.

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
sigfreund, did you receive the bolt carrier?

It’s en route. I’ll post a review after having a chance to evaluate it.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Update with new question in original post.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I realize I'm a bit late to this particular party, but I Would have recommended a Noveske switchblock instead of this. Something just doesn't seem kosher to me about having a non-standard BCG in an AR..

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I Would have recommended a Noveske switchblock instead of this.

Thanks for that, but I didn’t want to make any permanent modifications like changing gas blocks. I can use this with multiple guns and always not use it if it doesn’t work properly. Although I wasn’t really looking for this when I found it because, as I mentioned, I didn’t want to go through the process of setting up a rifle dedicated for the purpose, this will hopefully allow me to use a suppressor on those few occasions when I might want to.

The reviews of this BCG have been favorable, but I shall find out for myself.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
sigfreund, have you had a chance to use the bolt carrier yet?

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had a chance to use the bolt carrier yet. I’ve been busy of late and now it seems as though I’ve caught the bug that’s active in my community.

Thanks for the reminder, though. Perhaps in a week or so.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I followed this thread and decided to buy one of these Gemtech carriers.

I found it worked wonderfully well. With the suppressor mounted and the bolt valve set to "suppressed" it deposited the brass in a nice pile at about the 4 O' clock position which is just what you want.

Recoil impulse (not that there is a lot in 5.56) was reduced enough that I could feel the difference.

These suppressed carriers may not be absolutely necessary, but I believe they lower the stress on the rifle when shooting suppressed, and that has to help with parts longevity and reliability.

I also tested it in the un-supressed position with the can off and reliability was 100% - it ran just fine.

I liked this bolt carrier enough to go ahead and order another.

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Any updates on these?

Are they holding up and performing as promised?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Any updates on these?

Are they holding up and performing as promised?

Bruce

So far so good. Haven't had any issues with mine through a number of shooting sessions.

Complacency sucks…

Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
Ran mine full auto. It works as advertised but i got rid of mine. Felt like my BCM 11.5 was pretty smooth with out it.

You have to look/listen close but you can see how it slows the cyclic rate:

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post