SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Bill introduced to eliminate paperwork & tax.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Bill introduced to eliminate paperwork & tax. Login/Join 
Member
Picture of JoeTX
posted
GOP Representatives Introduce Bill Eliminating Paper Trail, Federal Tax on Firearm Suppressors http://bit.ly/2idiryf via @BreitbartNews


My guns are not illegal. Just undocumented.
 
Posts: 244 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 14, 2003Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Just a question. If it passes, you could purchase a suppressor locally, with just a background check.
Could they then be sold between private parties?
 
Posts: 1065 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 10, 2003Report This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Just a question. If it passes, you could purchase a suppressor locally, with just a background check.
Could they then be sold between private parties?


I don't see why not, just like any other gun as long as the state allows private sales of firearms.


David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
 
Posts: 2662 | Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Report This Post
Member
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I've been following discussions about this online. The consensus is that it, along with the Hearing Protection Act doesn't stand a chance.
 
Posts: 1542 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I've been following discussions about this online. The consensus is that it, along with the Hearing Protection Act doesn't stand a chance.


Where are you reading this and what is the reasoning for it?


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 17638 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Member
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I've been following discussions about this online. The consensus is that it, along with the Hearing Protection Act doesn't stand a chance.


Where are you reading this and what is the reasoning for it?


It's been posted all over the net and on social media sites. The reasoning is the Senate needs 60 votes to pass. If every Republican Senator votes yes, they still need to flip eight Democrats. To make it even more difficult, not all Republicans are a guarantee. It's going to be a heavy lift any way you slice it.
 
Posts: 1542 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Member
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Since when do we back down from a challenge?

Its worth the effort to contact the legislators.

Over and over. Including eight Democrats. There might be 8 or more sympathetic Democrats.


_____________________

 
Posts: 8499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Member
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I agree RichardC. There are those who think it's a sure thing with a Republican POTUS and House/Senate.
Therefore they're holding off on purchasing. My suggestion is find what you want and get in line like the rest of us did.
 
Posts: 1542 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I've been following discussions about this online. The consensus is that it, along with the Hearing Protection Act doesn't stand a chance.


Where are you reading this and what is the reasoning for it?


It's been posted all over the net and on social media sites. The reasoning is the Senate needs 60 votes to pass. If every Republican Senator votes yes, they still need to flip eight Democrats. To make it even more difficult, not all Republicans are a guarantee. It's going to be a heavy lift any way you slice it.


Just to be clear, it is the majority of Senators that are voting for it to pass, so technically it can be 51 if everyone is voting but the concern is you need 60 to be filibuster proof. The assumption being that a for a firearm related bill that everyone will show up.



.
 
Posts: 2724 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Report This Post
Member
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Our own Senator Mike Crapo is introducing this bill in the Senate.
Let your reps know of your support.
We have not because we ask not.


_____________________________


 
Posts: 716 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
Member
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigP239Hokie:
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I've been following discussions about this online. The consensus is that it, along with the Hearing Protection Act doesn't stand a chance.


Where are you reading this and what is the reasoning for it?


It's been posted all over the net and on social media sites. The reasoning is the Senate needs 60 votes to pass. If every Republican Senator votes yes, they still need to flip eight Democrats. To make it even more difficult, not all Republicans are a guarantee. It's going to be a heavy lift any way you slice it.


Just to be clear, it is the majority of Senators that are voting for it to pass, so technically it can be 51 if everyone is voting but the concern is you need 60 to be filibuster proof. The assumption being that a for a firearm related bill that everyone will show up.


I think we're saying the same thing. It needs 60 votes to approve the bill to be voted on further. It needs 51 to be voted on to be put into law.
 
Posts: 1542 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
If they are successful manufactures won't be able to keep up with demand.


******************************************************************************
Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .



 
Posts: 6991 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  

Closed Topic Closed

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Bill introduced to eliminate paperwork & tax.

© SIGforum 2017