SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    So the LGS guy told me some things about suppressors...true or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So the LGS guy told me some things about suppressors...true or not? Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
Just wanted to double check...

He said SiCo and Rugged and Q all use the same standard for muzzle devices, i.e. that you can buy a Rugged muzzle device that will allow attachment of a Rugged suppressor and you can use it to attach a SiCo suppressor...

He said these were also compatible with Q "Plan B"

Thanks

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Bullshit! LGS guy is talking out his ass! 'All use the same standard for Muzzle Devices'....NOT Possible!

Assuming we're talking about Rifle cans, different manufacturers use different tapers and locking methods/interfaces, so Definitely NOT Universal. Just looking at pictures of Rugged vs. SiCo Muzzle Brakes/Flash Hiders, it appears that the Tapers are not located in the same position. Regarding the 'Plan-B' from Q, that's a Threaded Silencer Mount designed to use with their 'Cherry Bomb' Muzzle Brake, and as far as I'm aware it ONLY works with the Cherry Bomb!

The Dead Air Key-Mo Adapter is another mounting option that was designed to provide universal mounting, a concept that did NOT exist prior to it's introduction. The Dead Air is a rock solid, and EXTREMELY robust (Bomb-proof?) system! That said, it's a longer/heavier design, and NOT inexpensive, but if you plan to shoot unsuppressed, it's a superior option to the 'Plan-B'/Cherry Bomb in my opinion.

If we're talking about Pistol Cans, and the Devices that thread onto the can, such as Direct Thread Mounts, 3-Lug Mounts, Nelson Devices, etc....Sure, that's possible assuming the cans have the same diameter (and obviously the same thread pitch). I do know that The SiCo and Rugged 3-Lug mounts DO interchange as I needed a different OAL to clear the Receiver on my B&T KH9. I contacted Rugged as this was for an Obsidian can, and they indicated the SiCo Mount would work. They specifically recommended the longer/original design from SiCo (as opposed to their newer 'short mount'), due to the increased internal volume, so that's what I went with.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8878 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have a Q setup with Cherry Bombs, and a Dead Air setup with KeyMo. I prefer each for their own benefits. The Q setup doesn't need to be timed, and shaves close to a pound between the muzzle device and the mount, but probably isn't going to enjoy being used as a club. The DeadAir will likely fare better at being abused.

As to the "one size fits all"- there are more and more suppressors being made with 1.375"x24 female threads for an adapter. The Q Plan B is one such adapter, but lots of companies make their own, including DeadAir, SilencerCo, etc.

If you buy compatible suppressors, adapters, and mounts, it's conceivable to have multiple brand suppressors all using the same muzzle devices. But this is true of many brands and their specific adapters/muzzle devices.

It is NOT, however, possible to just buy every brand's mounts and cans and put them on other's mounts and cans. You need the muzzle device to match the adapter, as they all interface slightly differently and all have their pros and cons.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Who hires these morons?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Thinking about this some more, something dawned on me. Is it possible the 'LGS guy' was using the wrong terminology, and doesn't know what a 'Muzzle Device' is, or the fact that it mounts to the Muzzle of the Firearm....Or dare I say, doesn't know what a Muzzle is? If that's the case.... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8878 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many companies use the same dimensions for threading the mount on the back of the can. I have a Dead Air mount intended for a Silencerco can on my YHM Turbo K. Gives me access to Dead Air's KeyMo muzzle devices.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Many companies use the same dimensions for threading the mount on the back of the can. I have a Dead Air mount intended for a Silencerco can on my YHM Turbo K. Gives me access to Dead Air's KeyMo muzzle devices.

Yes, but if he mixing up thread pitches and muzzle devices he needs a new profession.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun store salesperson is hardly a profession, many dealers have limited exposure to suppressors, many sales people are not full time, and probably most of them aren't going to be subject matter experts any more than most car salesmen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DaBigBR,

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Might be talking about pistons.
My SilencerCo pistons work in my Rugged Obsidian and Griffin Optimus - BUT the Rugged and Griffin pistons do NOT necessarily work in other manufacturers suppressors.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post