SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Changing residences and the NFA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing residences and the NFA Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I have two SBRs and a suppressor on a trust. My son and I are the co-trustees. The address on the trust is here in WV.

I did a quick search here and on the BATFE website. I also shot an as-yet-unreplied-to email to the BATFE.

In October I plan to head off to Texas. Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do or who I can ask about legally taking my NFA stuff with me?

Thanks in advance.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fill out 5320.20 for a permanent inter-state move

https://www.atf.gov/resource-c...320-20pdf-0/download

Whenever I've done it, if put a move time window in the block 3 (dates of transit) and mode was personal vehicle.

Takes a couple of weeks to get back, pretty straightforward.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Rhino, in the event I elect to leave the stuff with my son (who is on the trust but lives elsewhere in West Virginia), do I need to do the 5320.20 as well? Or only for out-of-state moves?

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technically this form is only for inter-state (out of state moves). For intra-state moves (staying in the state), TECHNICALLY the NFA just needs 'notification', ie you don't need their permission.

In the past when doing in intra-state move, I just sent them a basic letter "Hey, XYZ NFA items have moved from here to here". For awhile they took those but then started sending those letter back saying "Fill out a 5320.20 to reduce our paperwork burden". Which is stupid a fuck since the title of the for stays "Interstate", not "Intrastate".

I filled it the 5320.20 for them, however in Block 5 I put "For NOTIFICATION ONLY of an INTRA-STATE Move, approval not required", since you don't need their approval to move intra-state.

It came back approved (of course, as they all do unless you are moving to a state that has weird NFA laws).

Hope that helps you figure out a path forward.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it does. Thanks. I have this feeling I'm gonna be saddling my son with this things and the paperwork. I didn't take my NFA stuff into consideration when I decided on the RV retirement. LOL

posted Hide Post
RHINOWSO
After reading your post it made me wonder. I sent them a notification letter several years ago when I did an in-state move and never received anything back from them. I was wondering if the 5320.20 was something new they were asking for? All this time I have just "assumed" they received and updated my info. In the past when you just sent in a move update did they respond back to you?

Posts: 36 | Registered: July 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Also of note, you do not have to fill out the 5320.20 for the suppressor, just the SBRs.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BTW:
RHINOWSO
After reading your post it made me wonder. I sent them a notification letter several years ago when I did an in-state move and never received anything back from them. I was wondering if the 5320.20 was something new they were asking for? All this time I have just "assumed" they received and updated my info. In the past when you just sent in a move update did they respond back to you?
I would receive a response like 12-18 months later, "thank you for writing the NFA branch...".

Last time I moved 4-5 years ago they did the whole "fill out a 5320.20" for an in-state move. Maybe it was a one time thing, IDK.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Also of note, you do not have to fill out the 5320.20 for the suppressor, just the SBRs.

What, if anything, would I need to do for the suppressor?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:

Nothing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:

Nothing.

This isn't true. Look at the back of the Form 4 in the instructions. You have to notify the ATF, in writing, if you change addresses.

Posts: 26 | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post