SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Taking the plunge to suppress my bolt 223
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking the plunge to suppress my bolt 223 Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Have a coyote 223 bolt action Savage. Looking for a quality unit, money not the driving issue. Suggestions?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you shoot other calibers I would do a .30 cal myself. Which you can use on your .223. Honestly there is no just want to suppress one rifle. Trust me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Subsonic is much easier to suppress effectively than supersonic.
A bolt action with a heavy subsonic bullet is the ideal gun to suppress.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that a .30 cal can is the way to go. I have one dedicated .223 suppressor, but all my others are .30 cal. I use the .30 cal cans on AR15s in 223 & 300blk, AR10s in 6.5CM & 6CM, bolt actions in .308 and 6.5CM. According to the owner of Thunderbeast Arms, the smaller bore reduces the noise levels by maybe 2 dB, which human ears can't distinguish at the relative noise levels of gunfire. There is less back pressure on an AR15 when using a .30 cal can on a .223 bore.

Good suppressors reduce noise levels by 30 dB or more, essentially by eliminating much of the noise from powder burn. Of course, a subsonic suppressed round will be even quieter, as there is no crack from the bullet's breaking the sound barrier.

However, subsonic 223 has its challenges. First, it won't cycle a semi-auto, unless the semi-auto is horribly overgassed with supersonic ammo. Of course this isn't an issue with a bolt action rifle.

Second, subsonic 223 is anemic. Low muzzle velocity means low muzzle energy. Bullets heavier than 75 grains are unlikely due to both stability issues in a 1/7 barrel twist, and magazine length. One has essentially turned 223 rifle ammo into a 22lr round, although with a little more energy than a standard 40-grain subsonic load. Expect a subsonic 223 load to have the rainbow trajectory of a 22lr round.

Third, subsonic 223 ammo isn't known to be very accurate. The guys who handload will likely state that there's not much powder sloshing around in a relatively big case.

Quite a few options for suppressor brands and models. Consider your mounting type -- direct thread or quick detach to a muzzle device are common options. I have Surefire SOCOM and Thunderbeast Arms cans. Both work really well. The Thunderbeast cans are targeted more towards the precision shooting folks.

You also should consider availability of models. Can manufacturers are pretty backed up, due to high demand over the past two or three years. In the summer of 2020 I ordered a Thunderbeast can -- but that model isn't scheduled to go into production until spring or summer of 2021. Then comes the approval wait, as the ATF won't start the process until the suppressor is completely manufactured and a serial number has been assigned.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

However, subsonic 223 has its challenges. First, it won't cycle a semi-auto, unless the semi-auto is horribly overgassed with supersonic ammo. Of course this isn't an issue with a bolt action rifle.

Second, subsonic 223 is anemic. Low muzzle velocity means low muzzle energy. Bullets heavier than 75 grains are unlikely due to both stability issues in a 1/7 barrel twist, and magazine length. One has essentially turned 223 rifle ammo into a 22lr round, although with a little more energy than a standard 40-grain subsonic load. Expect a subsonic 223 load to have the rainbow trajectory of a 22lr round.

Third, subsonic 223 ammo isn't known to be very accurate. The guys who handload will likely state that there's not much powder sloshing around in a relatively big case.

It's basically .22LR.

If you are 100% sure you wont use it for other calibers I would get a .224 can for sure. YHM make a few that are incredible deals that sound great and Dead Air has a .224 can coming out. Honestly, I would not wait get something sooner than later.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
30 cal can is the way to go.I have a sig 762qd can that I move between two AR15s, & of 300BO,. I plan on threading a 243 and installing the qd muzzle devise also.

I reload and made plenty of 223 subsonic ammo. But a 22lr suppressed is just as effective.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post