SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Silencershop dealer problem
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silencershop dealer problem Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Trying to figure out what to do about this guy..

I bought a can off S-shop and chose the closest dealer to me as my local recipient.
Form 3 was filed and returned... can sent to local guy.
Form 4 was filed.... and I waited.

Have called the ATF a few times and found that that can was pending same day as a few others I bought from a different local dealer.
Called a couple more times and got word that all of them (from both dealers) were approved on same day.
Then I got the call from the other dealer (not the S-shop one) that my stamps were in (yay).
This occurred on May 20th.

On May 22nd I called up the S-shop dealer to see if he also got the stamp for that one.
He answered yes - it arrived on the 20th - but that the silencer stuff is a side business for him and he had not yet had time to finish up the paperwork for me.
Additionally, he stated he only does pickups on weekdays in the evening - by appointment.
All other times he's either off (weekends) or working his normal day job.
I stated that weekdays in the evening are when I work MY normal day job - but that I happened to be off that day (the 22nd).
I hoped he'd agree to meet that evening as we have conflicting schedules - sadly he did not.
He merely reiterated that he hadn't completed the paperwork yet and didn't have time that day.
He said he'd email me when it was ready.

It's now been a week and a half and I've still heard nothing from him.
I'd like to call and bitch... but I still have 3 more suppressors coming to him within the next month or so - so I don't want to start something now and have it impact me getting those cans from him.

Once I get all 4 suppressors from him... I'm sure as hell going to leave terrible reviews everywhere I can find.
But until then I'm kind of at his mercy...

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an NFA dealer to knock out the paperwork as soon as they get it.
It's bad enough we have to wait the better part of a year for the damn government.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Id form 3 them all to a different dealer and leave his "side business" in the dust. That is a bit ridiculous. But that takes time away from your form 4s, so thst sucks. But itd be worth it to me just to stick it to side-business guy.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
well he'd still need to do the paperwork for the new form3s lol....

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Rest assured I will not be using him again.
I just (within the last hour) bought another can off S-shop.
I chose a different dealer a bit further away than this guy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: creslin,

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
What paper work is there for him to do really ?! All he has to do is check it into his books and you have to do your 4473 and he has to call that in for the background check... hmmm

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...what paperwork? He doesn't even need to call in a 4473. The silencer owner, creslin in this case, need only to fill out the 4473, pay whatever transfer costs ($0 in the case of an SS transfer), take delivery, and skidaddle. All the FFL needs to do it enter it into his records.

My recommendation is to let SilencerShop know about this so they can reach out to him to perhaps light a fire under his butt. I'm sure SilencerShop might want to re-evaluate their relationship with this FFL if their behavior continues.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that I know much about the subject, but I read once that as soon as the stamp was issued, the item belongs to the owner of the stamp and should be transferred to him as soon as possible. By not doing so, the dealer is violating the law and/or ATF regulations.

Am I correct? Or did I completely misunderstand what is going on in this instance?

These complaints seem to be more common than they should be.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by choang3:
Hmmm...what paperwork? He doesn't even need to call in a 4473.

Clarifies that the exception includes transfers of National Firearms Act firearms to an individual who has undergone a background check during the NFA approval process. Also clarifies that a NICS check must be conducted if an NFA firearm has been approved for transfer to a trust, or to a legal entity such as a corporation, and no background check was conducted as part of the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the firearm. Additionally clarifies that individuals who have undergone a background check during the NFA application process are listed on the approved NFA transfer form.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Happened to get off work early today (7pm) and called the guy hoping he'll be able to help me out.

He's in Pennsylvania. For the next 4 days.

posted Hide Post
I agree with choang3. Contact Silencershop and let them know about this guy pronto. Maybe there are some legal recourses you can check as well. This situation sounds fishy. Right about now I'd be wondering why this dealer is so keen on delaying the transfer. He has to know how crummy it is to wait for these things in the first place, and he adds MORE delay on top of that? Not good.

Posts: 494 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
More dealers like this and buying through the Silencer Shop will start to drop.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cam:
Contact Silencershop and let them know about this guy pronto.

I called S-shop this morning and told them what's going on.
The guy who answered the phone said there's sadly nothing they can do.
He even told me of some asshole up in Michigan who sits on customers cans for months "until he has enough time" to do them.
Which I guess loosely translates to "until I have enough of them built up to devote a whole day to them".

So... good times.

Edit: he said the Michigan guy got his dealer status revoked.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by Cam:
Contact Silencershop and let them know about this guy pronto.

I called S-shop this morning and told them what's going on.
The guy who answered the phone said there's sadly nothing they can do.
He even told me of some asshole up in Michigan who sits on customers cans for months "until he has enough time" to do them.
Which I guess loosely translates to "until I have enough of them built up to devote a whole day to them".

So... good times.

Edit: he said the Michigan guy got his dealer status revoked.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully he comes through with that can and the others he has pending F4 approval for you, and hopefully he'll get his dealer status revoked as well.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
once you get your cans put SS on notice in writing vs talking to CS, once it's in writing, detail the dates approved, contact dates, delays, and time to delivery from the dealer. State there are several others within his area, and that you won't use him for delivery, that they should consider removing him.

I'm very surprised that SS doesn't have dealer standards and requirements, or at least on the web be sure to put in comments per dealer like "delays delivery" or delivery only in evenings no weekends, so you know when making a choice.

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
IMO, this is yet one more illustration of "you get what you pay for". While I realize this is not at all helpful for you, and you certainly don't want to hear it, I honestly don't feel sorry for you.

I have a wonderful relationship with my NFA guy - who lives about 2.5 hours away and works out of his house. He's met me and done transfers in parking lots at red Robin, home Depot, wherever is convenient for both of us. He's driven a can up to me once (had something else going on in the area, called to see if I wanted to wait 2 more days and get "free delivery").

So if saving $50 is that important to you that you're willing to buy online and use the most cut-rate "dealer" for the transfer, well, you gets what you gets.

In the future, I'd suggest finding a guy that you like and becoming a loyal customer. My guy has ordered cans for me with no $ upfront - I called him while he was at SHOT and said "hey, could you wander over by TBAC and order an ultra9 for me?" "sure".

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
When I bought the cans it was not a matter of convenience or money.
It was a matter of "who had stuff in stock".

Look at the timeline - I bought these suppressors right at the height of the mad rush before 41f.
Nowhere local to me had what I was looking for on the shelf.
Sure they could order it.. but waiting on the form3 would put my form4 AFTER the new rule change.
I was trying to avoid that - and silencershop provided that answer.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
IMO, this is yet one more illustration of "you get what you pay for". While I realize this is not at all helpful for you, and you certainly don't want to hear it, I honestly don't feel sorry for you.

I have a wonderful relationship with my NFA guy - who lives about 2.5 hours away and works out of his house. He's met me and done transfers in parking lots at red Robin, home Depot, wherever is convenient for both of us. He's driven a can up to me once (had something else going on in the area, called to see if I wanted to wait 2 more days and get "free delivery").

So if saving $50 is that important to you that you're willing to buy online and use the most cut-rate "dealer" for the transfer, well, you gets what you gets.

In the future, I'd suggest finding a guy that you like and becoming a loyal customer. My guy has ordered cans for me with no $ upfront - I called him while he was at SHOT and said "hey, could you wander over by TBAC and order an ultra9 for me?" "sure".

Seriously?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Seriously?

Isn't that illegal? Don't transfers have to be done "on premises" (except for at gun shows)?

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
You can give the guy a negative review on S-Shop's website.

I'd get the can FIRST though.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
You can give the guy a negative review on S-Shop's website.

I'd get the can FIRST though.

That is absolutely my plan lol.
Gonna leave him a bad review everydamnwhere I can find.