SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Need a host gun for AAC pilot 2 .22lr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a host gun for AAC pilot 2 .22lr Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Pistol and rifle.

I was going to get a ruger 22/45 mk4 lite but they are on recall.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I like my PPQ in 22lr. Stay away from the Walther P22 for the most part. S&W M&P compact 22's are suppose to be solid. Rifles, I like the 10/22 and M&P AR.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I'd encourage you to keep the 22/45 MkIV on your list. I sold off a MkIII recently with the plan to pick up a MkIV, then the recall. It truly is one of the better .22 pistols out there. Once the recall rush has slowed down I'll pick one up.

That said I also have a M&P 22 Compact. As dry-fly noted its a great gun at about 75% the size of the centerfire pistols. Just note, make sure its the Compact as its made by S&W, the standard M&P 22 isn't made in house and doesn't have the reliability of the compact. Not even sure they make a threaded version of the standard gun.

As for rifles, theres a bunch to choose from. 10/22 is a perennial favorite, though if I'm honest I don't own one (have plenty of mags for one though).

I regularly shoot my rimfire cans on an SBR'd AR-22, an M&P 15-22, and a Sig 522. The Sig is awesome as it will eat up even the weakest sub-sonic ammo without issue. They're harder to find now, but if you come across one at a decent price its worth it. Failing that the 10/22 is certainly a good option.

You also owe it to yourself to pick up a bolt action rifle. You'll never get the full effect of your can without a bolt gun. The Ruger American Rimfire gets plenty of good reviews at a great price. You can go as crazy with bolt gun prices as your heart desires. Based on your user name though I'm sure you've got a good handle on the Ruger offerings.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I totally forgot I have a smith ar15-22. Hopefully the thread patterns match up. Good info on the smith m&p. If I can hold out, I'll get the ruger 22/45. Will also check out a ruger bolt gun.

Thanks guys.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
My old man's got a Ruger MKIII Talo edition that suppresses like a dream. I'd recommend one if you can find it.

Rifle wise, I'd say either a 10/22 or some sort of bolt gun.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I use my AAC Pilot on any one of my Ruger 22/45 lite pistols, all of my S&W 422/622/2206 series pistols, my 10/22s and even my newest addition the Henry lever gun .22 - those S&W pistols are no longer made, but pretty available and quite honestly are the best .22 pistol hosts going!

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I totally forgot I have a smith ar15-22. Hopefully the thread patterns match up. Good info on the smith m&p. If I can hold out, I'll get the ruger 22/45. Will also check out a ruger bolt gun.

Thanks guys.

Thread pitch on the 15-22 is 1/2x28 so will match up with your Pilot. You will however need a spacer as the threads on it are too long for rimfire cans.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I like my PPQ in 22lr. Stay away from the Walther P22 for the most part. S&W M&P compact 22's are suppose to be solid. Rifles, I like the 10/22 and M&P AR.

My PPQ ate over 1K rounds suppressed and uncleaned before I got a malfunction. I highly recommend it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Thanks guys.

Thread pitch on the 15-22 is 1/2x28 so will match up with your Pilot. You will however need a spacer as the threads on it are too long for rimfire cans.

I screwed it on the 15-22 without a spacer and it seemed to be fine. Did I do any damage when I shot it without a spacer?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
For just having fun and plinking then either a 10/22 or m&p15-22 for rifles.

For pistols then a buckmark. The reason for that, while limited aftermarket compared to the rugers, trigger work is cheap and easy to give a nice trigger, and barrels are fairly cheap and come right on and off (I have 2 for mine, a 6.5 tapered octagon that was a run for acusport, and my 5.5 inch slabside that is threaded). Lets me have fun with the can and rimfire steel locally as well for the longer sight radius. If something more clone looking is desired then I'd say the m&p22 compact. They seem to be flawless.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several .22lr pistols rifles for suppressor use. I'd say hands down the M&P 22 Compact for pistol, and M&P 15-22 for rifle. My compact has been utterly flawless. It's light, accurate, and as an added bonus - the barrel is so short that the rounds never get supersonic. It's much quieter than my Buckmark or Ruger. The 15-22 is also really light and accurate. I'd prefer to shoot either of those over any of my other rimfire or centerfire guns.

Posts: 469 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Picked up a M&P compact. Solid little gun. Put about 100 rounds through it so far without a hitch. High vel, standard vel, and subsonic. Suppressed and unsuppressed.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

My PPQ ate over 1K rounds suppressed and uncleaned before I got a malfunction. I highly recommend it.

Havent cleaned mine yet either, somewhere around 400 rounds. The MKIV is probably the best of the bunch, truly a gun that can be passed down. Now that you dont need 6 hands to get it back together its even better. You're gonna have to pay though, they arent cheap but worth the money.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Got a ruger mark 4 22/45 lite today to go with the m&p 22 compact. Thinking about a red dot for it. Any suggestions?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I put a Burris FastFire 3 on my 22/45

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PMR-30 (and Scorpion) wears a Vortex red dot. Very similar to the Burris FF3. Great little red dots, and there are usually deals to be had on them.

Posts: 469 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post