SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Any Saker owners blow their can off the end of a rifle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Saker owners blow their can off the end of a rifle? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Y'all got me on the replacement bandwagon. It took a gorilla, but I got the Trifecta mount off of my Saker. SiCo agreed to send me an ASR mount and flash hider or brake if I sent that in as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 3542 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What made you decide to swap? Did you have issues?

============================================
See all my firearm photos at
http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...rearms?sort=3&page=1
-----------------------------------
View a photography demo video here:
http://youtu.be/Iftice_BYlE

Posts: 1238 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Call it a preemptive strike. I haven't had any *real* issues with the Trifecta mount, but I've heard SO many stories. I guess I just decided it was smart to do since SiCo was swapping mounts for free.

Posts: 3542 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got to shoot my Ruger GSR and SIG 516 with the Saker today. This is the first time I've gotten to shoot more than just a couple of rounds through a centerfire rifle suppressor. Time was limited to an hour so I only shot 20 rounds of .308 through the GSR and 20 through the SIG since I had a few other things to test. It was really just a function test. This was done at the indoor 50-yard NRA range. Here is a summary of my experience:

• Shooting these rifles with a suppressor is GREAT. Don't ever let anyone tell you that it's not worth it to use a can on a centerfire rifle.
  • It mitigated recoil and concussion on the .308 and made for a much more pleasant shooting experience. I like the rifle much more with the can.
  • The SIG didn't have much recoil anyway but it cut the concussion a lot, probably since it's a 7.62 can on a 5.56 rifle. I used a 5.56 end cap with it. The rifle would not function on the suppressor piston setting (probably because there wasn't enough back pressure with the 7.62 can) but it worked well on the normal setting. There was a significant amount of gas expelled from the ejection port. I will definite try a gas buster charging handle. It was still much more fun to shoot with the suppressor.
  • There was an enormous smoke plum on the first shoot (think black power). I know there was a lot of oil inside the can from the factory. I tried to get it out but obviously failed to get it all.
  • I did not launch the can. I did check the can regularly for looseness, after every round for the first few mags. The can did loosen several times. I could not retighten it without removing the can and reinstalling. This makes me nervous. I will probably look into this a bit and see if there is a fix, maybe try it on another range session, then swap to ASR if I don't like the results.
  • I REALLY like the Trifecta mount. It's very fast and easy to use. I didn't have any issues with the can getting stuck but the shooting was very limited. I just don't like that it's getting loose and don't want to risk damaging this investment.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It should not loosen once you have it in place. Not sure how this is happening? It ratchets into place. The problem with it launching is when people don't get the teeth to engage inside the Trifecta mount. Anyway.. so glad you enjoyed it. The Saker is an awesome can!

posted Hide Post
4 or 5 times the can would develop a slight wobble after firing. I tried to simply give it a twist to tighten it but it would not budge in that direction. The can would come off easily and tighten down fine when reinstalled. Maybe the locking teeth are backing off a bit after firing, I really don't know. I'm headed out shortly to shoot with it again.

posted Hide Post
ASR, here I come. I went back to the range today and shot the Ruger, three rounds at a time. I checked the suppressor after each three rounds...loose every time. I just don't want to mess with a replacement Trifecta mount (I assume that's what SilencerCo would do) and risk more issues so I'm going to take them up on the ASR swap. It's a shame because this mount would be great if I could trust it.

On the plus side, I never turned the can into a projectile!!!

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Probably for the best..

Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
This has happened to me twice with my Omega and the ASR mount on my .300 Blackout. I switched to the direct thread mount and have had no issues since. I still use the ASR on my .308 and havent had any problems there, either.

Posts: 666 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Are you saying your can launched off the rifle using an ASR mount or it just shot loose?

Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
Launched it. I was impressed by how far it flew.

quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
^^^^^Are you saying your can launched off the rifle using an ASR mount or it just shot loose?

Posts: 666 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:

@ Photoman~ maybe we should sell our replacement ASR mounts and buy the Dead Air Key Mo set up.

posted Hide Post
I'm really surprised at the loyalty and constant good press this company receives considering all of the problems.

I have 2 of their cans and am wearing one of their t-shirts right now. I'm just as guilty.

Posts: 267 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
I bought their 51T MAAD on sale last year, may give that a try.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34061 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I think there may be a bit of piling on in this thread. I have 6 Silencerco cans right now and they have all been great. As I mentioned my only one problem was a stuck Saker mount after it sat on a dirty fired rifle without being removed for 6 months. So partially my fault and SiCo took care of it, not a single issue since.

I have 2 Sakers that I mount on 3 different rifles, and I prefer the Saker mount to the ASR mount. The ASR can wobble or tip much more easily if it loosens up than the Saker since the cone on the Saker is a much more gradual angle. I actually tested this side-by-side quite extensively as shown in the thread below.

The larger surface area of the Saker cone does take a bit more force so I think people probably just aren't tightening them down enough. I crank my Sakers down pretty hard and they have always been excellent. In fact the POI shift on both of my Sakers is within 1 MOA with excellent repeatability. That is most important to me since I shoot primary unsuppressed at the range and frequently hunt suppressed so I need a known POI shift that I can just dial each time. My Specwar w/ASR mount had a much bigger POI shift (likely not due to the mount) and was not nearly as repeatable as my Saker, so it mostly sits in the safe now.

Here is a thread where I tested the concentricity of a few different mounting options on my SCAR 17. The Saker was dead on every time I screwed it down.

http://fnforum.net/forums/sbr-...ty-measurements.html

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
No piling on meant here, other than for the Trifecta mount. I love Silencerco and their customer service.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I think there may be a bit of piling on in this thread. I have 6 Silencerco cans right now and they have all been great...

I'm just sharing the experience I've had as a new Saker owner. I own four suppressors, all SilencerCo, and I'm a very happy customer overall but there are obviously some issues with the Saker's Trifecta mount and I want to get them sorted out before something bad happens like a baffle strike or launched can. I ran across your info on the Trifecta and ASR mounts when I was researching whether to go with an Omega or Saker. It's one of the reasons I went with a Saker. After messing with both mounts in a shop I was sold on the Saker and I'd still prefer it over the ASR, if I can trust it. I was surprised that mine is coming loose when most issues seem to be with stuck cans.

So do you recommend trying a replacement Trifecta mount first instead of jumping to the ASR?

Edit: By the way, I am tightening the Saker down until it stops moving/ratcheting. This is what SilencerCo recommended when I called them last week. They warned against over tightening because the can will always require more force to remove than to install (according to them).

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
No problems with my Saker 762 on 3 different rifles. Had trouble getting it off once, but otherwise fine.

Posts: 1470 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with SilencerCo and they are going to send me a replacement Trifecta mount. I want to try that before swapping to ASR because I think I'll be happier with it in the long run.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
There is a temperature variable to be considered when working with quick attach cans that utilize a conical feature on the mount. The tolerances of those interfaces are highly sensitive to thermal expansion and contraction.

When cold, I tighten down my Saker 762 very hard, until it can't move at all. During my testing with the concentricity bore rod and POI testing with live fire this has yielded the most consistent results. I remove the can while it's still a little bit warm and have not had any issues, I've done it this way countless times over the years. Same process with my Saker 556.

During testing there were cases where I had only tightened it very slightly, just until the teeth engaged. When testing with the bore rod I could tweek the can laterally relative to the bore rod by pulling on it. Not enough to cause an end cap strike but it was noticeable movement with the bore rod in place. This loose can is also the case where I had more inconsistent POI shift during live firing. So tightening the can down hard while cold removed any lateral movement that would negatively impact the concentricity.

If you tighten the can down very tight while it's cold you should not have any movement, and removing it while slightly warm should not be a problem. However the reverse is not true. If you crank down on the can while it's very hot, and then wait to remove it until it's cold, then you will have a stuck mount. Some mounts may be better than others, but if they have a conical interface feature they will all be susceptible to thermal expansion.

I typically just bring along a cotton rag in case I need to get the can off and it's still too hot to touch. The suppressor mirage sleeves can also work but be careful with those as if it's too hot when you grab it they will melt to the can. This happened with the Armageddon gear cover on my Specwar 762.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post