SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Any Saker owners blow their can off the end of a rifle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Saker owners blow their can off the end of a rifle? Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Eek

Or any other suppressors for that matter?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7730 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
No, but I've seen reports of it. I always make sure mine is snugged down pretty good.

Did this happen to you?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3616 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
No, but I've seen reports of it. I always make sure mine is snugged down pretty good.

Did this happen to you?

I thought mine was snugged, I guess not.
It did in fact happen to me. Let me tell you, it didn't just plop down off the end of the rifle either, it shot down range (50yds) and lodged itself in the bullet trap.
Needless to say, she's a little bruised and battered.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7730 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Any damage to the baffles or end cap (that you can see)?

Posts: 3616 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Doesn't appear to have taken a baffle strike. The end cap looks good. I removed the end cap and looked from both ends and as far as I can tell, everything is good. Function tested after inspection and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Of course, the outer shell, not so much. I don't baby my shit but I also don't abuse the hell out of it so it stings just a little bit to have her all banged up.

I spoke to SiCo yesterday afternoon just to get some direction from them since I'm no expert, spoke to a nice guy who suggested I send the mount in and they'd replace it.

NRA Life Member

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I know they were swapping out early MAAD mounts there for a while. Is your can a low SN?

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I know they were swapping out early MAAD mounts there for a while. Is your can a low SN?

I doubt it. I purchased Jan of this year.

NRA Life Member

certified biohazard
Picture of mew
posted Hide Post
my mount loosened at the range last time and I'm lucky it didn't have a strike. I called SiCo who suggested I tweak the ring with the teeth to tighten its grip when you lock it down. haven't been back to test but I read mostly about them being hard to get off rather than loosening. will watch more closely for sure next time out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 367 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a 7.62 Saker and am always conscious of how tight I snug it down. I've considered ditching the MAAD mount altogether but that's a little chunk of cash. Kinda frustrating

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 3710 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of l33571
posted Hide Post
I launched my Saker 5.56 50yds as well. Early can and the MAAD mount failed completely. No baffle strikes or interior damage. The locking ring on the MAAD mount would spin and the teeth would no longer engage. Called SiCO and they had me send in both the trifecta flash hider and the MAAD mount for replacement. I couldn't tell any difference between that MAAD mount and the one on my Saker 7.62. The Trifecta flash hider was different. The square areas (not sure what these are called) for the MAAD mount to key onto were much larger than the original. SiCO advised me that anytime a MAAD mount fails they also want the flash hider or brake. Has performed without issue since the replacement but is a bit beat up.

Posts: 54 | Location: Hoschton, GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Deadair just announced THIS might have your name on it. Street price is around $170ish

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 2488 | Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
It is just the trifecta mount. Call them they will swap with the MAAD ASR at no cost. You will never have that problem with the ASR mount.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2008 | Location: SC | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Both my Saker 556 and Saker 762 have been rock solid, no issues with the mount loosening up. My Saker 556 did get stuck one time after leaving it on for an extended time. SiCo sent me a new MAAD mount and flash hider right away, no questions asked. I returned the MAAD mount and trifecta flash hider using the box and shipping label they gave me. No issues since.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 2011 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with my Sakers in 5.56 and 7.62 but when I got my first one I took some pics and sent to Silencerco to confirm that it was fully locked in place. It is a bit unclear until you've done it a few times.

There is a small notch that one of the MAAD rings slightly fills. I'll try to attach here the photos that I sent Silencerco to confirm that the mount was properly locked into place. You can also feel a slight "indent" when you have it properly locked.

Silencer was quick to answer my email.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 17 | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Mine will "lock" into those indents but is still wobbly. SiCo told me as long as those indents were lined up, it was good to go. Well, if I fired it that way I'd have a baffle strike. It still requires considerable tightening after the the fact. I think I'll have another talk with them.

Posts: 3710 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like the sound of this. I knew this was an issue in the past but I thought SilencerCo had it worked out. I just brought my Saker home a few weeks ago and got my Ruger GSR set up for it this weekend but I haven't shot with the Saker yet. This is making me nervous to even try it. I'm wondering if I should just contact SilencerCo about swapping to an ASR mount. The thing that really sucks is that I prefer the Trifecta mount to the ASR after messing with them in the shop.

Mine seems to mount/unmount securely when I make sure the lock is properly engaged/disengaged but I don't know if I'm willing to risk launching this thing downrange.

============================================
See all my firearm photos at
http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...rearms?sort=3&page=1
-----------------------------------
View a photography demo video here:
http://youtu.be/Iftice_BYlE

Posts: 1265 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
As long as those indents go into place, and then you crank it down you really should feel safe that it's on there Photoman. I don't "think" most folks think they need to tighten it that much...I always have and no unintentional launching. I'm seriously looking into the Dead Air Key Mo mount system.

posted Hide Post
If folks only turn until the tab goes into the recess I can definitely see why the can becomes a projectile. Mine requires a good bit of turning after it enters the recess to get tight.

On a side note, I checked down my bore for concentricity this afternoon (eyeballed from the breach) and saw the edge of my end cap. Awesome. I took it to a shop and they verified the muzzle brake is out of whack. The shims used for clocking the brake look messed up so I'm taking it back to the shop that installed it. I hope it's just a botched install. I really don't want to deal with a non-90 degree shoulder or non-concentric threads. This package has been a few years in setup and I just want to shoot the damn thing! I'm glad I checked though.

Posts: 1265 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Seriously, call silencerco they will switch out your MAAD setup for free. The ASR designed by Henry Graham is rock solid.

They ship out your new mount in a box with a label to return your old one. They know it is an issue.

As far as your Ruger not being concentric. I would suggest you have it checked. I have seen a Ruger 10/22 barrel on a lathe and was blown away by how far off the bore was from being centered in the barrel. Hopefully yours is not suffering from this. If so it needs to be cut and rethreaded.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2008 | Location: SC | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called SilencerCo and they are willing to swap me to ASR. I want to stick with the Trifecta for now though and at least try it out. I really like this system.

I also took the GSR to the shop that installed the muzzle brake. They swapped it to a flash hider and the suppressor appears to be concentric or pretty darn close now. I would have preferred a brake on this one but I'll deal with a flash hider if it works with no gun mods. A 308 from an 18-1/2" barrel shouldn't cause any baffle erosion issues (especially in a Saker) and I won't shoot it much unsuppressed anyway.

Now I just need to go shoot it and hopefully not launch the can.