SIGforum
Yes, did it again, baffle strike.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/1120047644

September 06, 2018, 07:38 PM
mike56
Yes, did it again, baffle strike.
Very first shot with my Surefire socom, shot it off. Wasn't indexed and locked correctly. Thought I learned my, expensive, lesson.
First shot on a ruger american ranch in 7.62x39, didn't sound right.

Looked and sure enough another baffle strike.
Only thing I can think of is I didn't get the mount square on the muzzle when I put it on?

Back in CA and I hope to know soon.
September 06, 2018, 08:07 PM
SIGfourme
Was the barrel threaded to the bore or the barrel? Should be threaded to the bore to ensure a straight bullet path. Anytime I use a new gun/suppressor combo I use a laser chamber bore sighter.
Yep, I had a baffle strike. Yep, it’s overkill.
Yep, it takes a long time for the company to repair.
September 06, 2018, 09:11 PM
nhracecraft
Two Strikes...You know what they say! Wink

Sounds like you are in DEFINITE Need of one (maybe both) of these --> https://geissele.com/tools/sup...-alignment-gage.html

ETA - Make sure you are NOT using a 'Crush Washer' behind your Mount(s), which can often (usually?) lead to a Canted Mount! Use Shims instead (when using a Flash Hider or a Muzzle Brake), especially if you want to 'time' the mount.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
September 07, 2018, 12:29 PM
RHINOWSO
Either you are:
(1) not putting the cans on right,
(2) not putting the muzzle devices on right, or
(3) your threading on the weapons is crappy, leading to poor alignment.

Regardless, figure it out and STOP.

Or just send me money instead of burning it yourself! Big Grin
September 24, 2018, 08:42 PM
Tommydogg
A guy did that at my range yesterday. First shot, new suppressor. The can went 25 yards!

Beth Greene
November 29, 2019, 11:11 PM
SIGguy229
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
A guy did that at my range yesterday. First shot, new suppressor. The can went 25 yards!

What was the POI of the can? ;-)
November 30, 2019, 01:14 PM
gw3971
Damn that sucks! Can it be fixed and what is the process to fix it?
November 30, 2019, 03:46 PM
flesheatingvirus
This seems to me to be another reason to like thread on cans. Does this always seem to happen to quick connect systems?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
November 30, 2019, 04:00 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
This seems to me to be another reason to like thread on cans. Does this always seem to happen to quick connect systems?
Thread on cans typically need to be checked repeatedly while shooting, as they can unthread over time under recoil. Plus with an AR, you will likely also want to shoot unsuppressed and want a muzzle device, so most people go for a mount / QD system.

QD systems typically fail due to user error or mechanical issues - I shot my Saker-K off last month when the Trifecta MAAD mount finally failed - it is a known issue with the MAAD mount (SiCo no longer makes it and replaced a bunch of them for free) but mine had been fine for years. No Baffle strikes after my two events, just some heavy recoil and a flying suppressor. Pretty impressive to see the second time.
November 30, 2019, 04:27 PM
MikeGLI
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

I can vouch for the fact that suppressors can easily go 25 yards, most of it airborne. Mine lodged itself in the bullet trap.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
December 01, 2019, 12:11 AM
RobLew
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Thread on cans typically need to be checked repeatedly while shooting, as they can unthread over time under recoil. Plus with an AR, you will likely also want to shoot unsuppressed and want a muzzle device, so most people go for a mount / QD system.

QD systems typically fail due to user error or mechanical issues - I shot my Saker-K off last month when the Trifecta MAAD mount finally failed - it is a known issue with the MAAD mount (SiCo no longer makes it and replaced a bunch of them for free) but mine had been fine for years. No Baffle strikes after my two events, just some heavy recoil and a flying suppressor. Pretty impressive to see the second time.

What's the issue with the MAAD mount? I heard of some user error issues, but nothing systemic. If I wanted to replace those would Silencerco still do that or did I miss the boat? Thanks

...that I will support
and defend...
December 01, 2019, 09:24 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
What's the issue with the MAAD mount? I heard of some user error issues, but nothing systemic. If I wanted to replace those would Silencerco still do that or did I miss the boat? Thanks

For awhile you could call and get them to replace the MAAD Muzzle Devices and mounts with ASR mounts. The most telling thing to me that there was an issues is SiCo dropped the MAAD mount system completely from their lineup.

Like you, I never had an issue. Mine launched downrange a couple weeks ago and my first through was "duh, you didn't tighten it down enough" (although I leave it on all the time and had checked it before shooting).

Retrieved the suppressor, cleaned off the dirt, confirmed no baffle strike, reinstalled it tight and shot it again - 3 shots later it was flying downrange, again. Ok, screw that noise.

SiCo gave me a return # for the MD and mount to check it / swap for an ASR setup, but I'm still waiting to remove the MD from the rifle. I also have a 51T mount for the suppressor and it works great, so I'm likely not going to bother - the ASR is essentially the same system as SiCo method for attaching to the 51T mount anyway.
December 01, 2019, 11:45 AM
dry-fly
There’s an easy fix for the lame SiCo MAAD mounts...its called “KeyMo”! I put them on my Omega and Saker. Haven’t had an issue.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
December 01, 2019, 11:59 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
There’s an easy fix for the lame SiCo MAAD mounts...its called “KeyMo”! I put them on my Omega and Saker. Haven’t had an issue.

Yeah, that's an option but I picked up the 51T Saker adaptor a couple of years ago for $125 and going all 51T is cheaper than buying all the KeyMo shtuff (I have an AAC 762-SDN6 as well) - although it does get you tactical ninja points galore; but not as much as the "Plan B" zombie hordes earn.... Wink
December 01, 2019, 07:35 PM
RobLew
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

For awhile you could call and get them to replace the MAAD Muzzle Devices and mounts with ASR mounts. The most telling thing to me that there was an issues is SiCo dropped the MAAD mount system completely from their lineup.

Like you, I never had an issue. Mine launched downrange a couple weeks ago and my first through was "duh, you didn't tighten it down enough" (although I leave it on all the time and had checked it before shooting).

Retrieved the suppressor, cleaned off the dirt, confirmed no baffle strike, reinstalled it tight and shot it again - 3 shots later it was flying downrange, again. Ok, screw that noise.

SiCo gave me a return # for the MD and mount to check it / swap for an ASR setup, but I'm still waiting to remove the MD from the rifle. I also have a 51T mount for the suppressor and it works great, so I'm likely not going to bother - the ASR is essentially the same system as SiCo method for attaching to the 51T mount anyway.

So it's unlocking after a few rounds and jetting off downrange?! I guess that's a retention system spring problem? I think I'll be making some phone calls to Silencerco then...

I have to admit I haven't put a lot of rounds through my setups. I have them set up on "precision" setups and haven't put a lot of rounds thru due to ammo costs. I also don't ever take them off since I learned that repeatability wasn't as I was expecting it to be.

...that I will support
and defend...
December 02, 2019, 09:57 AM
myrottiety
Why I like my Griffin Taper mount. Easy on & easy off. But locks up super tight!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
December 02, 2019, 10:27 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
So it's unlocking after a few rounds and jetting off downrange?! I guess that's a retention system spring problem? I think I'll be making some phone calls to Silencerco then...
Mine is an example of one, a Saker-K. Around 1K rounds of 5.56 through it. Usually left on the SBR rifle, maybe installed / uninstalled 40 times tops, mostly during the initial get used to the system then left on the rifle pretty much all the time, especially when it got stuck on it.

I had no issues with repeatability but I wasn't shooting precision either, just 5-100 typically and now 200/300 with the new range.
December 02, 2019, 03:43 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:

Nope.

Never had an issue with my AAC can across multiple hosts.

Make certain the first time that the threads are concentric to the bore.

Some QD mounts are prone to loosening.

ETA, beat.
December 02, 2019, 03:48 PM
IndianaBoy
The 51 tooth design was maligned for a while as 'old tech' but that pretty much stopped when the new hotness from SiCo was allowing cans to be launched downrange.

There are probably better designs than the 51T but I am quite happy with mine. Rock solid.
December 04, 2019, 08:15 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
The 51 tooth design was maligned for a while as 'old tech' but that pretty much stopped when the new hotness from SiCo was allowing cans to be launched downrange.

There are probably better designs than the 51T but I am quite happy with mine. Rock solid.
Agreed, mine always locked up solid and worked fine. The Saker with the 51T adaptor lock on tight as well - I was waiting to confirm it was good before buying some new Brakeout 51T 2.0s for some new ARs that don't have mounts, then I can use both of my suppressor on any of them.