SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Classifieds Section    P220 ST...85% condition...rough idea on value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 ST...85% condition...rough idea on value? Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted
I recall Para saying that this is the place to ask such questions, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I found a P220 ST 45AUTO recently at a local shop. The frame itself was in pretty good shape with minimal marks and scuffs, but the slide finish had several hard-not-to-notice surface finish scratches along its sides that were on the longish side of 'eeyuwww'. Still, I kinda liked the gun, especially since I don't have one of these already. It purportedly comes with its factory box, included 'stuff', plus it has an extra factory mag for a total of three. Seems like it would make a nice, hefty counterpoint/companion to my two P220 SSEs (fullsize and Carry). Night sights appear to be fresh Meprolights (or SIGLites), based on the newish looking condition of the tubes and white circular rings. I don't like 3-dot but due to their condition they do have value to them. One thing I forgot to do was to jot down the S/N to check against our database, so I don't have an estimate on where its manufacture fits on the P220 timeline. It does come with the thinner solid trigger and internal extractor, if that helps to narrow down its build date a bit.

Internally the barrel wears some obvious smileys, finish worn down to bare steel in the first 3/8" or so of the 'smiley zone', with lesser wear as the eye travels back to the chamber block. The barrel lugs show some contact wear as well, but nothing out of the ordinary. Slide rails grooves and frame rails seem pretty clean also; no 'hot spots' of excessive wear that I saw. The gun had been cleaned at some point prior to hitting the shop's display case, so it was easy to see all around and tell that it hadn't lived that hard of a life. But it had been honestly used though the Hogue rubber grips mounted on this one seem to be in very good shape, themselves with no discernible wear. Ultimately the cosmetics of the slide were the biggest turnoff to me; I know that it can be refinished but that only adds to the buy-in cost and plus it's no longer 'original', something I seem to be very into these days.

So I'm seeking opinions. What does the brain trust here figure the retail price point should be about. While I was at this particular shop, I kept thinking that the asking price was a bit high, so I wanted to get alternate ideas on what others might value such a gun at. Pardon me for not revealing the asking price, but I was hoping for opinions that would be unbiased by the existing sticker.

Posts: 8666 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$650?

.45s are out of favor, steel guns are hard to carry and have a smaller market, and most steel .45 buyers want a 1911. I have seen some pretty clean ones on here for $600ish I seem to recall.

I bet they had $799 on it.

Posts: 2384 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The Classifieds is never the place to ask for values. It's where folks buy, sell or trade.

You might want to move this to the Pistols section. It should be ok, since you are not "thinking about selling" anything. Wink

That out of the way, from your description, it's a pretty well used P220 ST, nothing special. I'll say $525 top is what I would be willing to shell out, if I were looking to buy one in that condition. Retail? $750. If it is that high, it will be sitting there collecting dust for a while.

Posts: 16472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Two of the SIG P220 ST that sold on the forum this year sold for $720 and $1000. The $1000 example was a complete package 2009 mfr. and unfired. The $720 one was an Excellent condition complete package low round count used gun with night sights, SRT + original parts, 6 mags, and 3 holsters, with the seller appearing to be motivated to sell.

Based on the prices I've seen on the forum over the last couple years I'd say $675-$750 for a P220 ST would be average.

Posts: 4040 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought one from Austin here on the forum for $500 shipped to me. It was a police trade in P220St. Frame is nice, Decent amount of wear on top of slide but nothing too crazy, 3 mags, box, etc... I’m very pleased with the deal I got from him.

Posts: 703 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The Classifieds is never the place to ask for values. It's where folks buy, sell or trade.

You might want to move this to the Pistols section. It should be ok, since you are not "thinking about selling" anything. Wink

That out of the way, from your description, it's a pretty well used P220 ST, nothing special. I'll say $525 top is what I would be willing to shell out, if I were looking to buy one in that condition. Retail? $750. If it is that high, it will be sitting there collecting dust for a while.

Well like I said, I remember Para saying that such questions should be asked here. I figure it's his house, so I should live by his rules.

Thanks to all for your pricing input. I looked at the gun a second time and decided that the wear on the slide wasn't as horrible as I let on. Just some careless handling at some point to cause a couple of pronounced scuffs that 'danced' along the flanks of the slide (maybe someone dropped the slide when it was off the frame?). Anyways...the asking price was $800, I originally thought at most in should've been $600-650, but then I kept staring at the outside barrel wear. The finish was well worn in all the right places. This one had been shot a healthy amount; someone got a lot of entertainment out of it (good for them). The rifling still looked very good, especially since someone went to the trouble of cleaning any lead or copper residue that might have been left.

I pointed out all of this to the shop owner and didn't give him a counteroffer. Instead I told him what I would've been selling it at ($500 to $550 tops) and told him I will pass on this one. Too bad, since the frame finish was in really superb condition. I could've convinced myself to counter if it weren't for those few unsightly scuffs on the slide.

Posts: 8666 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post