SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Classifieds Section    Moly resin coating
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly resin coating Login/Join 
Picture of WGP226
posted Hide Post
What are the advantages of using this over Cerakote?

Posts: 103 | Location: United States | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Ceracote is ceramic based. Moly is Teflon based.
Moly creates a smoother, slippery finish.

Doug, just wanted to say thanks - 3 Sig 228's and a Berretta 92 back and looking great.

No reservations on Doug or his work.
Frank

Posts: 1721 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The green revolver on pg2 is od green and matte black. The grey/green is a little darker.

Posts: 357 | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 284 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great work and quick turn-around.

You had it for only a weekend and it looks wonderful.

For everyone viewing, Doug did the lower and bolt in MolyResin black, to match a duracoated black upper. The lower/bolt were done in a KG white.

A bit fuzzy from critter fur in the garage [dog and cat: they get everywhere], but the work is VERY satisfactory. Next time I need a refinish, this will be on the short list!

Sig P226, P220 Carry Stainless Elite, and a bunch of non-sigs. Smile

Posts: 571 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are you able to remove ceracote and how much is that prep charge?
Just not happy with the colors I chose.

Posts: 22225 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoarse Whisperer
posted Hide Post
Doug,
Can you refinish a Glock slide and polymer frame? If so, what colors are available? I'm thinking a darker brown or perhaps some shade of gray.

If the frame can't be done, then I will probably just have the slide done.

I'm replacing sights with a plain steel Dawson rear and fiber optic front. Do this before or after slide refinish?
Thanks!

A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 3479 | Location: Western Rockies | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can remove cerakote. It is no charge extra as I prep them by media blasting anyways.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The pics of that gunmetal and black 228 have driven me over the edge.
You have mail

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
BTT. Email sent.

Posts: 25407 | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sigman88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coyotekiller:
I can remove cerakote. It is no charge extra as I prep them by media blasting anyways.

Doug, do you media blast carbon slides as well? Also, wondering what the prep is for aluminum frames? Thanks!

Posts: 437 | Location: PNW | Registered: January 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do blast carbon slides and alluminum frames as well. Just a light blasting on alluminum to keep from going through anodizing.

posted Hide Post
Doug I have another Glock frame to be refinished...Do all the colors air dry are do you use a different moly resin? What colors do you have that air dry?

Posts: 65 | Location: HAMPSTEAD,NC,USA | Registered: July 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Air dry jus comes in desert tan, od green and black.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Folks I just got my 10mm back from Doug and I cannot recommend him enough.
He did an amazing job. Quick communication and turn around time!
Good guy to deal with. Unknown to me Colt utilizes a plastic main spring housing so it could not be coated as it would melt in the curing process.
Asked if I could order a stainless housing and have it sent to him and he swap them. Said it was no problem. Took longer for the new main spring housing to get to him than his turn around time.
I had my 1911 refinished as the original cerakote job I was just not happy with it looked good when first done but after a couple years it has become dull and gritty.

Immediately after original completion (not Dougs work wish I would have known about him then)

A couple years later just looking rough for some reason.

I liked the look of the gun metal with black controls very much so I swapped the colors a bit from the original but I like the new look way better and still looks good with my VZs.

The pictures do no justice either just a crummy cellphone pic and it looks stunning. The gun looks much better in person.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Glad you like the finish. Let me know if I can do anything else for you in the future.

posted Hide Post
Btt

posted Hide Post
Just had a Kimber Tactical Pro refinished by Doug.
A true gentleman and great to work with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigextreme,

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Drew816
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of an ex-Israeli Police BHP that I salvaged a few years ago. The guy that originally finished the grip frame didn't cure the Cerakote correctly and it scratched, arrgh. Doug did a great job of modifying the Burnt Bronze to a more toned down brown (with little bling) like I was looking for, and a few of the control pieces. I added a C&S Hammer, it already has Trijicons, it shoots like a dream and looks fantastic.

Thanks again and more parts on the way shortly Doug!

==================================

Posts: 475 | Registered: February 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoarse Whisperer
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet HP! I really like the brown frame/black slide.

A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 3479 | Location: Western Rockies | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post