SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Otter Ankermesser #174 Should I put something on the sapele wood?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Otter Ankermesser #174 Should I put something on the sapele wood? Login/Join 
posted
I just purchased an Otter Ankermesser #174 with sapele wood handle. Should I put something on the wood before using? Otter provides Ballistol with the knife. Ballistol claims it can be used on wood yet when I inquired with Otter they told me to use ballistol only on the blade.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've used Ballistol on gun stocks without any issues. It will darken the wood slightly, some more than others. Since sapele is a hardwood much like mahogany, I'm not sure what it would hurt, but if the factory says no, then I would assume they have a reason. Odd that they would provide Ballistol for just the blade though.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any experience with linseed oil?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
It depends if the wood is stabilized. If not it will still be porous. I like Tung oil, or even paste wax and buff. How bout some pictures!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If the wood isn't finished already, some pure tung oil would make a fine finish. Instructions for a tung oil finish are all over the web.

Linseed is similar.

Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil is mostly linseed oil, with additives, and does a very nice job, and is a little easier to handle than pure linseed or tung oil.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Real tung is good. I've also used walnut oil with good success; that's a good one because it can be found at nicer grocery stores.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Tung oil would be great here. I would opt for it over linseed oil, unless you're talking Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, another very good choice.

In any case I would seal the wood first if it's otherwise untreated. Minwax makes a good "Sanding Sealer" for use on bare and unstained wood. I've gotten some excellent results with it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use linseed oil ,please be careful with the rag/cloth if you use it to apply. Once use they can cause a fire.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post