SIGforum
Otter Ankermesser #174 Should I put something on the sapele wood?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/9980057724

July 24, 2017, 05:18 PM
SMK
Otter Ankermesser #174 Should I put something on the sapele wood?
I just purchased an Otter Ankermesser #174 with sapele wood handle. Should I put something on the wood before using? Otter provides Ballistol with the knife. Ballistol claims it can be used on wood yet when I inquired with Otter they told me to use ballistol only on the blade.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin
July 24, 2017, 09:21 PM
jbcummings
I've used Ballistol on gun stocks without any issues. It will darken the wood slightly, some more than others. Since sapele is a hardwood much like mahogany, I'm not sure what it would hurt, but if the factory says no, then I would assume they have a reason. Odd that they would provide Ballistol for just the blade though.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
July 25, 2017, 01:45 PM
SMK
Anyone have any experience with linseed oil?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin
July 26, 2017, 06:39 AM
sybo
It depends if the wood is stabilized. If not it will still be porous. I like Tung oil, or even paste wax and buff. How bout some pictures!
August 04, 2017, 02:19 PM
jhe888
If the wood isn't finished already, some pure tung oil would make a fine finish. Instructions for a tung oil finish are all over the web.

Linseed is similar.

Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil is mostly linseed oil, with additives, and does a very nice job, and is a little easier to handle than pure linseed or tung oil.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 07, 2017, 06:54 PM
porterdog
Real tung is good. I've also used walnut oil with good success; that's a good one because it can be found at nicer grocery stores.

Is your government serving you?

August 08, 2017, 04:15 AM
kkina
Tung oil would be great here. I would opt for it over linseed oil, unless you're talking Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, another very good choice.

In any case I would seal the wood first if it's otherwise untreated. Minwax makes a good "Sanding Sealer" for use on bare and unstained wood. I've gotten some excellent results with it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
August 08, 2017, 02:10 PM
chessiedog1
If you use linseed oil ,please be careful with the rag/cloth if you use it to apply. Once use they can cause a fire.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!