SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Just cut myself with a Bowie knife.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just cut myself with a Bowie knife. Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Yes, the 12" Randall with elephant ivory handle. We bought a nice round watermelon and I needed to cut it. I'm not particularly fond of my wife's kitchen knives, they have thin blades that flex.

So I went to the dungeon, found my knife and came back upstairs. Placed it on the cutting board and tried a nice gentle approach. No joy. So I just whacked it in approximately the middle. It cleaved in two nice pieces. Then I went about cutting each half into half again. Its somewhere in that operation I didn't respect the point, I think. Or maybe the sharpened top. At first, I thought it was just one finger, but I noticed blood coming from my thumb, too.

I have no idea what I did wrong,

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. Had a few incidents where I somehow had my thumb pressed squarely down on the blade. Didn’t realize it’d happened until I saw the blood.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Good for you on using a that knife for kitchen duty.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You wanted to show off and it bit you.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
You wanted to show off and it bit you.

Bob

Happened to me too. I was showing my friend a new Bark River knife. Next thing I knew there was blood all over. ...never felt a thing.
it was the cleanest cut that I've ever seen. It closed up with a bandaid and two days later, you couldn't tell there was anything there. No scar, no marks, nothing.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post