SIGforum
Just cut myself with a Bowie knife.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/9870008144

May 15, 2018, 08:43 PM
rburg
Just cut myself with a Bowie knife.
Yes, the 12" Randall with elephant ivory handle. We bought a nice round watermelon and I needed to cut it. I'm not particularly fond of my wife's kitchen knives, they have thin blades that flex.

So I went to the dungeon, found my knife and came back upstairs. Placed it on the cutting board and tried a nice gentle approach. No joy. So I just whacked it in approximately the middle. It cleaved in two nice pieces. Then I went about cutting each half into half again. Its somewhere in that operation I didn't respect the point, I think. Or maybe the sharpened top. At first, I thought it was just one finger, but I noticed blood coming from my thumb, too.

I have no idea what I did wrong,

Unhappy ammo seeker
May 15, 2018, 10:31 PM
Spiff_P239
Been there, done that. Had a few incidents where I somehow had my thumb pressed squarely down on the blade. Didn’t realize it’d happened until I saw the blood.
May 16, 2018, 07:32 AM
UTsig
Good for you on using a that knife for kitchen duty.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
May 21, 2018, 02:27 PM
rbert0005
You wanted to show off and it bit you.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
May 21, 2018, 02:38 PM
xl_target
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
You wanted to show off and it bit you.

Bob

Happened to me too. I was showing my friend a new Bark River knife. Next thing I knew there was blood all over. ...never felt a thing.
it was the cleanest cut that I've ever seen. It closed up with a bandaid and two days later, you couldn't tell there was anything there. No scar, no marks, nothing.