SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Auto knife. Flip-open or retractable?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto knife. Flip-open or retractable? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I’m planning to purchase an EDC auto (Indiana is gtg).

I’m just not sure about the style. The type that retracts is appealing but it seems like there would be more chance of breakage due to moving parts.

I like to clip the knife in my pocket, so size is a factor as well.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I guess “out the front” is the preferred nomenclature for the one style, and I’ve had the same question. It seems to me that the OTF or retractable would be more susceptible to issues relating to the blade channel’s collecting dust and other environmental debris. I’m curious about other people’s experiences with carrying an OTF model.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
What is the main purpose for the knife? I have auto, OTF, and some flipper knives. Several of my OTF knives have a double edged blade which does not lend itself well for a utility knife. I prefer a flipper type as an everyday utility knife. I can still open one handed and my knife is way more likely to assault a taped box than being used as a last line of defense. OTF knives are fun and I do carry them routinely.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
OTFs are a little more sensitive to lubrication than side openers, but nothing is more fun that a double action OTF. You are a little more limited in blade shapes with an OTF.

I don't think one has any significant advantage over the other on durability. Neither are super-complex mechanically.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Primary use is utility — box opening, fingernail cleaning. I like the simplicity of a side opener and don’t need a double edge.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I have a Benchmade Mel Pardue Automatic that I really like.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Primary use is utility — box opening, fingernail cleaning. I like the simplicity of a side opener and don’t need a double edge.

For that an OTF isn't going to be best choice, IMHO. I've got both.

Of course that's before even considering the adjustment to a new, razor sharp Infidel. Do NOT use it one of the first times to cut some rope where you instinctively place your thumb on the back of the blade. In the dark at odarkthirty in your yard. Most definitely do not.

The OTF is fun, but I'm ok not using it daily.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
In rare circumstances - close quarters, restricted movement - an OTF could be an advantage.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I bought an HK Turmoil the moment it was announced they were discontinuing the HK line at Benchmade. It's the only double-action OTF knife that I own. I've never carried it. For me, it's just not as easy to fire versus my side-opening autos.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
In a nostalic moment, I bought an automatic Buck 110. To my surprise, I love it. I carry it in my hip pocket, as it has no clip. It is heavy, classy, and sharp as hell. Plus, well, the first big folder I had was a Buck 110 I bought in 1973.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another factor to consider ( at least it is for me) being left handed the otf with spine mounted activation is ambidextrous where the side open buttons are clumsy to activate left handed. I did manage to find a pro tech side opener with left hand button. I like it and will eventually end up with an otf. In all honesty I can deploy a manual faster than an auto though

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this here for your consideration...

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
2nd from bottom looks the best to my eye.

RB

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If I were to go for an auto, I would want a double action, as jhe suggests. Push to open, push to close is awfully nice.

When I have used side openers, I notice two things; one, if the blade is heavy enough to be really useful, when it slings open, it can want to pull the knife out of your grip. You get used to it, but it can be an issue. Two, I have never seen a side opening double action, but I think it could be a bit scary to have the sharp edge powering shut on whatever is in the way.

I have a hankering for a Benchmade OTF, but it's not in the budget right now...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a double action side opener. As you say, closing would be too dangerous.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
2nd from bottom looks the best to my eye.

That's the first one I bought and the least expensive. It's a UTX-85 ($220) and is a perfect size for discrete pocket carry.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have concluded a UTX-85 or 70 will be my next knife. Problem is can’t find a place to compare the sizes side by side, actually very difficult to find anyone with these in stock. I would prefer a regular style single edge blade. The few places in stock are either double edge or tanto which I don’t care for

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have a Benchmade Phaeton OTF that I absolutely love!

I have found OTF's to be much safer than other knives. When you are holding something that needs cut with one hand, you can easily deploy your blade and retract it one handed.

Other knives can be awkward to close one handed if your holding rope/twine a package, whatever in your other hand.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I have concluded a UTX-85 or 70 will be my next knife. Problem is can’t find a place to compare the sizes side by side, actually very difficult to find anyone with these in stock. I would prefer a regular style single edge blade. The few places in stock are either double edge or tanto which I don’t care for

UTX-70's have not been produced since 2015. They released a Proof Run of 200 last week and they sold out in less than an hour. The production knives should be out within the next few weeks. They are EXTREMELY small knives and are more of a novelty. I'm waiting for the OD w/Black blade.

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I looked at two models today,

Benchmade Presidio II, mini Presidio
Benchmade CLA

Still in decision mode. I’d like to see a UTX-85 before I decide.

RB