SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Auto knife. Flip-open or retractable?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto knife. Flip-open or retractable? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I have concluded a UTX-85 or 70 will be my next knife. Problem is can’t find a place to compare the sizes side by side, actually very difficult to find anyone with these in stock. I would prefer a regular style single edge blade. The few places in stock are either double edge or tanto which I don’t care for

Look on Youtube for people handling both knives. That helps you visualize how big they are. The UTX-85 is an excellent size for the pocket and still has a very nicely sized 3" blade - a good general utility size. The UTX-70 is smallish. It would be great for dressy pants, and light use, but it is a small knife. Think an automatic pen knife. Those little ones are cute, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
There is a double action side opener.
First function is a traditional side open .
Double action is where activating a specific area on the grip activates the auto function.
Looks like a traditional side opener with stealth auto function.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post

Here’s my Ultratech, UTX-85, and UTX-70 for comparison. The 85 is the best for EDC in my opinion, though the Ultratech would be okay. The 70 is just a cool little piece to play with, a fancy letter opener if you will. Not suited for much other than really light tasks but fun to own nonetheless.

All that said, I love my auto’s but I’ve had to send the UTX – 85 in a couple times now for misfiring issues and I baby these knives. I would recommend a microtech LUDT as a wonderful side opener that can take abuse and is 100% reliable. Not as fun as an auto but more practical I suppose. Still I would never trade my auto’s Smile

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have a Benchmade HK Epidemic double action OTF knife. It's nice but it's just for looks.

I have cheap ($40 or less) Lightning brand double action OTF knives with different blade styles (tanto, dagger, serrated, etc) that I use and abuse daily. Never clean, never lube. Just use them to open everything (mail, boxes, doors) etc. I've bent and broken a few, but I seem to buy one a year until I either lose it or break it. It's a beater knife. I primarily use it to pry open doors when going into apartment buildings where I don't have a key.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Kershaw Launch series. Tons of value there. Great steel, USA made, $100ish.

If you are set on a double action OTF, make sure you check out the Hogue line.

Microtech has horrible customer and warranty service historically as well as proprietary hardware.

Benchmades in general tend to be a lot of money for what you get.

If money isn't too much of a concern, then the G&G Hawk Deadlock is hands down the best OTF out there. Absolutely no blade play, only OTF to ever achieve this.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither OTF nor flip. They're just toys.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Check out the Kershaw Launch series. Tons of value there. Great steel, USA made, $100ish.

Microtech has horrible customer and warranty service historically as well as proprietary hardware.

If money isn't too much of a concern, then the G&G Hawk Deadlock is hands down the best OTF out there. Absolutely no blade play, only OTF to ever achieve this.

I used to hear that Microtech had poor customer service though my experience has been great. Unfortunately I’ve had to send one knife in two times now, however, each time shipping was paid for and they got it back to me relatively swiftly, with good communication along the way. And each time they sent me some swag I assume for my trouble.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
In rare circumstances - close quarters, restricted movement - an OTF could be an advantage.

+1 on this.

I have several of both. On duty I carry a cheap OTF that is strictly a GTF OFF ME knife. Thankfully, I have never had to use it.

In the VERY limited situations where I MIGHT have to go to a blade to get some control, the OTF makes the most sense to me due to the high potential for being up close and personal, which would limit the space needed for a side opener to open. Granted it could happen in the front of an OTF as well, but less chance and no problems grabbing it wrong and mucking up the open either like a side opener.

I have a Combat Troodon, Ultratech, and a Scarab. I also have a $40 Lightning. I carry the Lightning on duty and will until it fails me when testing it. It is silver with just a little black remaining in the grooves from almost 6 years of carry now. The blade will take a good edge, but not hold it for long. It requires VERY minimal maintenance and it has been fired (you have my word) THOUSANDS of times without a failure yet.

But it is NOT a utility knife. It has been used to cut a seatbelt or two over the years but that is about it. It is strictly a tool I hope to never use for a very limited purpose under a very limited set of circumstances.

The only OTF I have that I will use as a utility knife is my Scarab. That thing is a tank. It has never failed me and I do use it as a utility knife for those times when I did not know going in that I would need a knife. It is my normal daily carry off duty.

My limited experience with Microtech customer service has been excellent. I've heard the stories, but did not experience any issues at all.

If I am heading for something where I know I will need a knife.... fixed blade.... always.

The other Microtech's are (for me) just a toy to collect a couple of, although I have carried the Ultratech and never had any issues with it. I work with others who carry Ultratechs, BM Infidels, and several others who carry the el-cheapo Lightning like mine. I have given several away. They are hard to beat for $40.

Having said all that... for what you have stated as your intended purpose, I would go with a side opening without question. There are MANY out there that will function trouble free from many makers.

OTFs are great if you stay within their limitations, and I like them, but a good solid side opener can be as good as any folder. No folder will replace a good fixed blade task for task.

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

^^OTF^^

^^The Other Type^^

•Get Both•

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z06,

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
In rare circumstances - close quarters, restricted movement - an OTF could be an advantage.

I totally missed this the first time around.

Yes, one of the primary reasons I switched to an OTF knife was after an incident in our jail where I could not get my flip knife to open to cut a prisoner because my hands were sweaty.

An OTF would have been helpful and ended the attack quicker.

I have an HK Epidemic as well but it's too nice to carry daily with the way I abuse my knives.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
One of each. I carry them both, sometimes at the same time. They are both insanely sharp.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Love how SIGforum encourages us! So, where's the best place to order a UTX-85? Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
My vote would be PVK.VEGAS. I have purchased Microtech from several places with no complaints but they seem to ship quicker than most. Plus if you use the rewards points system they have it saves you money off the typical price sine Microtech is usually the same price everywhere.

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I guess I've never trusted a double action out-the-top retractable knife. I've always gone with a fixed blade and an Emerson for when I'm working.

Do these out the top automatic knives have enough umph to do a contact deployment and not bind up?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
To fire an OTF knife it needs a clear path. It will not lock open if it hits resistance. The sales guys at the factory demo'd it for me.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It won't even deploy into a piece of paper.

Once it deploys, it stays out though and I regularly use mine to open doors to get into apartment buildings (lobby or side doors).

The last OTF knife I got in is pretty solid and sharp for a $40 knife. It cut my knuckle off cleanly (accident). It's been three months and it's almost fully grown back.

Not minority enough!

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I received my tan UTX-85, satin blade today from Bladeops. This thing is a beauty!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Just wanted to say thank you for this post.

For 'fun' signed up for the notification of the next G&G Deadlock OTF batch (#5).

The deposit notification arrived at 7pm, last evening. By less than an hour later, there were no deposit places left.

Maybe that was a good thing Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Sometimes both.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Anyone put a hand on the Boker/Hogue? I like the tamer handle design compared to the rest of the Hogue line up. Their policy of disassembly voiding their warranty is a bit absurd.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post