SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thinking about ditching my Benchmade 551 Griptilian for a Kershaw Blur in S30V

Moderators: parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thinking about ditching my Benchmade 551 Griptilian for a Kershaw Blur in S30V Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I have been carrying a plain edge Benchmade 551 Griptilian for at least a couple years now. I really like this knife, but don't think I'll ever use it to it's full potential. I really only use it to open mail or cut tags off of new clothes. My main reason for carrying a knife is (God forbid) self defense, since carrying a gun is close to impossible in CA. Anyway, I've always liked the Kershaw Blur in S30V. And seeing as how I can get one for half the price of the Griptilian, I'm strongly considering making the change. From what I can tell, I won't be losing anything quality wise. So... I'm looking to my fellow forum members and knife aficionados to talk me in or out of making the switch. As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1588 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If I only could have one?

I'd keep the Griptillian.

Axis lock is much stronger. Especially if your primary reason for carrying the knife is for self defense.

The 154CM is plenty sharp for opening packages and is much easier to sharpen than the S30V. If you are a casual knife user, then the 154CM makes more sense. Would rather have a knife that is easily sharpened, and sharpened frequently, than a knife that can get a theoretically sharper, but never gets sharpened.

Posts: 9411 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You already have the Grip. Why not just keep it? You can't sell the BM for what you paid for it. You'd have to buy the Kershaw.

What am I missing?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43476 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles,

I get what you're saying, but how strong does a lock really need to be on a folding knife for self defense applications? To me the Axis lock is ideal for an outdoors knife, in which case I would just use a fixed blade.

jhe888,

That's the thing... A friend of mine offered to buy the Griptilian from me for what I paid. I can buy the Blur and have enough left over for a full tank of gas, ammo etc.

Posts: 1588 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is all that worth making $25 or $30? Keep the BM.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43476 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Aeteocles,

I get what you're saying, but how strong does a lock really need to be on a folding knife for self defense applications? To me the Axis lock is ideal for an outdoors knife, in which case I would just use a fixed blade.

How strong does a lock need to be for self defense purposes? As strong as you can possibly get it.

Outdoors? I can be as methodical and careful with my tools as I need to be. I can use tools properly and take a measured approach to anything my tools weren't designed to handle.

In a knife fight? You are taking a fist full of knife and swinging--with all your might--at an opponent. You will catch flesh, you will catch bone, you might catch clothing, zippers, and buckles. You'll also likely catch concrete, asphalt and cinder block as the fight goes to ground. You'll likely be doing this with a gross-motor-skills only dose of adrenaline and with probably several strikes to the face as your close in on your opponent. It's not exactly a good time for a lock to fail and you won't be waving it like a magic wand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 9411 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
You guys are right. I'm keeping the Benchmade. Thanks again!

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
love a happy ending

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 6974 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Report This Post