SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Home knife making furnace for large knife - recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home knife making furnace for large knife - recommendations? Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
Recently, some friends and I have begun making our own knives, along with our sons. So far, we have done 4" fixed-blades, and used the charcoal-in-a-chimney method for heat treating. Well, now we would like to try our hand at large choppers, but these will no longer fit in the chimney. Any suggestions on an economical method for a DIY heat treat on 10-18" blades? TIA.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You might try to find a used (or even new, they are not that expensive) farrier's forge. You would have to get a thermocouple sensor for accurate heat, or learn to gauge heat by color, but they will certainly get the heat you need. Plus, if you want to start hammer forming rather than grinding, you can do that as well.

I believe that Grumpy Biker built a home made forge from firebrick a propane burner and welded angle iron from an internet plan.

I'm probably picking up a welder this week, so if you needed to weld framing, I could help with that.

Assuming you are using a grinding belt now, what are you using?

I've always wanted to make a couple of knives.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post