SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Italian switchblade question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italian switchblade question Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
School me on Italian switchblades.

What with switchblades legal in Michigan now I am feeling the itch for an Italian auto.

What are the differences (if any) between Armando Beltrane knives and Frank Beltrane knives?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Well, they're competing brothers in Italy.
Armondo's seem more like assembled kit knives where Frank's feel more hand made.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Do the FB models take a very sharp edge? I guess what I'm wondering is, is the blade steel good?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
440 stainless

You're paying for the neat factor, they are a poor design, fit by hand with moderate attention. Frank B makes the perfect quality level for a neat knife that you keep on your desk to open letters and fiddle with. Nobody in their right mind would ask more from them.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
440 stainless

You're paying for the neat factor, they are a poor design, fit by hand with moderate attention. Frank B makes the perfect quality level for a neat knife that you keep on your desk to open letters and fiddle with. Nobody in their right mind would ask more from them.

Thank you, that's about what I was expecting, given the price of his blades.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I had an Armondo. It was unremarkable at best.
It worked but was nothing to get excited about.
I can build a kit knife the same quality.
Now if you want a REALLY food stiletto,
Look at Omereta with solid bolsters.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I had an Armondo. It was unremarkable at best.
It worked but was nothing to get excited about.
I can build a kit knife the same quality.
Now if you want a REALLY food stiletto,
Look at Omereta with solid bolsters.

Tastes REALLY good? Wink

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with getting a Frank B if you want an Italian switchblade, but a Benchmade or Microtech auto are much more useful daily use knives.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the old switchblades.
But if I wanted a similar look on a hard-firing auto with superior steel, I’d look to the Pro-Tech “The Don” or “Large Don”.

The Don ...

I’ve got a Godfather and Godson, and will own a Don when the stars align.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I have a AGA Campolin 11" picklock Italian stiletto switchblade with dark horn handle. It is a wonderful handmade knife made of quality materials. I do believe that it is the best brand of switchblade in the world.
The traditional switchblade has a bayonet blade and is for stabbing, not cutting.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's nothing wrong with getting a Frank B if you want an Italian switchblade, but a Benchmade or Microtech auto are much more useful daily use knives.

I've got a Benchmade auto for EDC, but I'm thinking about an Italian for style, they just look cool as hell, in a West Side Story way. Cool

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
440 stainless

Yep, I have one with the buffalo horn which cracks over time but it still works fine and opens all the letters you could want to......

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
My Due Buoi Classic Italian Stiletto 9" had a propensity to open in my pants pocket.

Mika shipped me a nice pocket knife case. Now I bleed less often.

https://mikaspocketholsters.co...t/pocket-knife-case/

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
b
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
My Due Buoi Classic Italian Stiletto 9" had a propensity to open in my pants pocket.

Mika shipped me a nice pocket knife case. Now I bleed less often.

Years ago we had a guy at work who had one. It wasn't too annoying until the day he bumped into something and it opened. Stuck him enough to cause some bleeding. Thereafter he was known as the Gay Blade. You don't get to pick your own nickname.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post