SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Let’s tweak this knife design !!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s tweak this knife design !!!!! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Let’s have some fun!! I want to “modernize” this old design I was making some time ago. Can I get some Sigforum family suggestions!! Thanks all in advance!!

https://imgur.com/a/qXNg8

https://imgur.com/a/cupkW

https://imgur.com/a/GU26M

I appreciate all feedback!!
Jim
DBK

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll offer in to the best of my ability.

First, I like a modest drop point in most utility knives. I find that it gives a more precise point (less than a clip point, more than a straight spine) which is still suitably strong for field use.

Second, I like the "center of effort" along the blade to the point to be at or below the top line of the handle, preferably somewhat below the topline of the handle.

Third, I prefer either a thumb rise or just jimping where the handle meets the spine, rather than the thumb notch. Some of this is asthetics; but from a practical standpoint, the thumb rise assists in getting the center of effort below the topline of the handle/spine and it provides good security in a sheath, whether kydex or leather.

I very much like the handle shape, modest front quillion and fairly large choil. For finer work, it's nice to have the index finger in the choil, and the middle finger behind a quillion. I find that set up gives me the best feeling of control over the blade.

Hope this helps. I really like your work.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
ArtieS , THIS is what I’m looking for!! Thank you!! Anyone else!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't touch a thing. Amazing knife. Scales on the first one are crazy perfect.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a knife aficionado like many here, but from what I can see in the pictures, I would prefer the spine of the blade to go straight to the tang, or maybe with a shallow dished-out area, with some modest jimping. I'm not a fan of aggressive jimping.

I prefer Wharncliffe or modified Wharncliffe blades, such as an edge with just a little bit of belly to it (I'm thinking something like a Delica or Endura), maybe with a little more metal at the tip, but not quite a sheepsfoot shape (like somewhere between a Yojimbo and a Delica). Although, I agree with ArtieS that a drop point would be good, too.

I also like full-flat grinds, like the third picture.

I can't really say for sure without handling it, but the handle shape looks good. I do prefer something slab-sided, or at least oval. I can't really tell from the pictures you posted if that's the case with those knives, but it seems like it is. I also like handles with at least a bit of texture. I have a custom knife with linen micarta handles that have a cool gray, wood-grain-like pattern. Smooth, but not slick.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Radius the jimping for strength and comfort.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the drop point and flat grind.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Within the existing design I would adjust the choil to start further back to where the start of the choil matches the distance from where the curve in the handle to the end of the handle matches the distance from the start of the blade to the start of the choil.

Also the jagged edge on top the knife should be rounded to echo the curve in the choil. A curve on the bottom of the blade should be echoed by a curve on top the blade.

As far as preferences in overall knife design I would prefer a straight spine and a slight drop point over the raised forward spine in this design. As far as overall knife quality distal taper in the blade adds cutting performance and distal taper into the handle adds class and balance........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/F5mwz

Thanks all!!
While awaiting replies, I started doodling with some steel and came up with this. I am so grateful for all the fantastic comments and suggestions! This is real rough and I have a lot of hand sanding. I actually think it falls in line with some of your suggestions. There will be photos to follow! Thanks once again !!

posted Hide Post
I like that shape much better! Only thing I'd change on the next one (too late now) is that I'd leave the spine full thickness instead of the false edge. A long square spine makes it a lot easier to strike a fire steel with. It's one of those things where less is more. :-)

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I do like the look of the new shape. It not only looks practical, it has a certain elegance to it. Deserves really nice scales...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Progress pics later today!

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/t9iBN
Off to heat treat today!! Not sure what kind of scales I want to put on it quite yet

https://imgur.com/a/klwgC

Perhaps these. What do you guys think?

posted Hide Post
I think those scales would look AWESOME!!

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Dj, I think this is gonna rock!