SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Need your thoughts and opinions subject knives
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your thoughts and opinions subject knives Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Since becoming a dealer for CRKT and now having bought and sold $5000 plus, i have been getting contacted by the following companies:
Kershaw- a little more cost than CRKT
Cold Steel- Pricy
Benchmade Very Pricy

While all very flattering, this requires a sizable investment.

What's your thoughts on these brands?

Thanks for your opinions!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Kershaw is decent, not my first choice, though.

I prefer Benchmade knives, I have 5 of them from the lower end ones to a couple of automatics. While they are pricey, the quality is there. The life sharp warranty is outstanding though I wish they sharpened serrations.

Last I saw, they gave a 20% or 30% discount to military and other first responders so that might be a tough customer segment for you to attract.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
If Kershaw comes with ZT, then that is a no-brainer, do it.

Skip Cold Steel.

Benchmade is nice.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly what feersum said.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I really like Benchmade.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
If Kershaw comes with ZT, then that is a no-brainer, do it.

Skip Cold Steel.

Benchmade is nice.

Can’t argue with any of this. First sentence is especially on the mark.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Kershaw is nice but doesn't really make what I want. I usually get a Benchmade when it comes to folders, though I am looking at a small Spyderco at the moment. I don't consider Cold Steel at all.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is your primary market? Can you compete with amazon pricing? I have been. CRKT fan for the past decade. I can buy multiple CRKTs for the price of a single benchmade.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
When I was active duty I carried a cold steel folder on my belt daily. Since I’ve retired I carry a smaller benchmade.

There is always a market for the higher end knives but it is a smaller market.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I’ve got three benchmade knives..they are amazing and properly made. I’ll have to say they are the leader of tactical knife making.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kershaw would be an incremental step up and probably has the most value for the money.

I've been looking at RJ Martins knives and see Kershaw has some of his designs.

Maybe no one really sells Kershaw here? The price point seems right.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Talk to the folks in The Essential Edge forum.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
For everyday carry, I prefer a couple Spydercos, with H1 steel that I have. Though I’m honestly not a knife aficionado. I’ve never even held a Benchmade or CRKT.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Being a knife-a-holic, I like most mid-tier and higher knives. Kershaw is a rung or two down from where I hang out most of the time, but their Zero Tolerance knife line is top shelf.

The Cold Steel garb can be marketed to the mall ninja types that love making videos in their mom's basement or garage of themselves abusing stuff.

Benchmade is a legit knife manufacturer that holds quite a bit of market share and their knives are made right here in the USA. For that fact alone, I would invest with them.

Good luck.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a big knife guy, but I've bought 3 Benchmades in the last couple years. Top notch manufacture with a great product.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on who your customers are. Knife collectors will steer you into Benchmade or better....but then they'd never walk into a store and buy one...they'll buy something more boutique elsewhere.

Ask your customers or create an easy survey.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My daily carry went from a Benchmade to a Kershaw Leek, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thin, handy, and sharp.

I think both are good, and will have their own market that won't overlap much. Why not both?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Was about to buy a Benchmade Griptillian, with G10 grips, but wanted to see the Spiderco Paramilitary 2, really likes the Spiderco better. Just felt better in my hand, the blade was literally razor sharp. Will probably get a Benchmade sometime, but the Paramilitary is now my EDC.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I have about 5 Benchmade autos and 1 non-auto, have EDC one for close to 20 yrs.

Haven't even held a ZT knife. A very brief look at prices online says I won't in this lifetime.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I keep buying Benchmade knives. They’ve given me no reason to consider anything else. For me, great daily use knives at reasonable prices.

But what is your business strategy? Who are your target customers? What do do they want to buy from you? What would generate better margins? Better revenue and cash flow?

What’s good may not be the same as what you can sell. Don’t take this the wrong way but, for example, if I like benchmade, why would I buy from you versus using the 20% coupon for REI next week?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post