SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Need your thoughts and opinions subject knives
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your thoughts and opinions subject knives Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is someone for every knife, but the Cold Steel fans aren't usually knife sophisticates.

I like Benchmade and ZT. Also Spyderco.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kershaw knives have decent cutting edges that hold well, so long as not abused. I have several Kershaws that I've been using for two decades.

a Benchmade saved my life once, so I can't complain, but I haven't owned any since.

Cold Steel is hard to take seriously.

The Zero Tolerance line I have mixed feelings about; they're decent enough knives and I have a few, but I'd be on the fence with their cost vs. what one gets.

Spyderco, not mentioned, makes a lot of knives that seem to be "sprint runs" that come and go; their basic line has proven fairly ubiquitous over the years and I own a number of them. Good blades, generally speaking.

My favorite for carry are Emersons, though. I have a Kershaw Emerson-license in my pocket at the moment; they're very affordable and not a big headache if damaged or lost. My sole complaint about the actual emersons is the fragile pocket clip; I've lost track of the number of their pocket clips I've had that failed. They just don't last. Otherwise, good knives. I'd take an Emerson over a Benchmade.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Out of the choices you are pondering, I like the quality, materials, designs, and price point levels within the brand that Benchmade offers. Good luck friend!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benchmade. Spyderco. Leatherman.
High end: Emerson. Chris Reeve.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
You’ve got to figure out your customer. High end knife buyers are no doubt out there but generally they know exactly what they are looking for. I have plenty of knives but I’m a sucker for exactly what I want and not one that is pretty close.

The web has ruined retail for the thing you want to do. I know if what I desire exists and where to find it and how much to pay.

I like what you’re wanting to do. I try to buy local, and wish you luck.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
who is coming in to the store? do they have anywhere else around to get their hands on benchmade knives? are your typical customers willing to spend $150-200 on folding knives?

My inclination would be to be the one place where you can get a certain good (besides the internet.) People are more likely to buy a $40 kershaw on the internet without ever touching one than they would be buying a $150 benchmade without ever getting their hands on one. They'd rather spend that larger chunk of money in person so they'd be more likely to seek out a B&M dealer for a benchmade than a kershaw.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
High end knife buyers are no doubt out there.

Yes, and none of these qualify as high end. Yoopersigs is correct.
My email is in my profile if you'd like to discuss additional knife resources and learning the knife community.

Of the ones you mentioned Benchmade is certainly the finest of the 3.

As mentioned above, Cold Steel really can't be taken seriously.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I only have 1 really nice knife. It's a Benchmade. I love it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Benchmade

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
who is coming in to the store? do they have anywhere else around to get their hands on benchmade knives? are your typical customers willing to spend $150-200 on folding knives?

My inclination would be to be the one place where you can get a certain good (besides the internet.) People are more likely to buy a $40 kershaw on the internet without ever touching one than they would be buying a $150 benchmade without ever getting their hands on one. They'd rather spend that larger chunk of money in person so they'd be more likely to seek out a B&M dealer for a benchmade than a kershaw.

Ding! The local place has a fair bit of Benchmade, and some others. They are happy to get whatever out of the case and let you play with it. Sometimes what looks really great just doesn’t quite want to play in your hand. It didn’t take long at all to have the Benchmade Warn or Emmissary flying open seemingly automatically and easily closing one handed. Some of the others, not so much. I’ve bought one knife online. I suspect it will be the last online knife purchase. I’m sure there will be more in store purchases, whether at the local place or elsewhere.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've stopped buying knives but kershaw/zt and benchmade have "gravitas" while coldsteel brings up visions of the out of shape guy hacking at pig carcasses.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I've always had lower end pocket knives...mostly Gerbers, Kershaws, and CRKT. They've done the job.

I asked a friend of mine who's a knife dork what American made knife would be a good purchase. Without blinking he said Benchmade...he gave me a few suggestions and then I saw the prices!

He offered to get me a Benchmade Barrage if I paid for the gas on our fishing trip...which would be around $180. I agreed.

Now I have a sweet ass Benchmade that is light years ahead in quality of anything else I ever had. Everything about it is different from what I've previously known about pocket knives. I can never go back...

So, Benchmade.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Kershaw/ZT, Benchmade, Spyderco, and CRKT would be the brands that I carried if I had to sell knives.

Cold steel is tacti-ninja garbage.

CRKT and Kershaw should be enough to carry the mid-tier masses. I like that they both also carry axes, hatches, machetes, and other outdoorsy type large blades. They also have real designers putting their names on their products--you can get knives made in collaboration with big names like Emerson, RMJ Tactical, etc.

ZT, Benchmade, and Spyderco cover the top grade production knkives.

If you want to branch out and hit the bushcrafting, and sportsman markets, you should also carry Condor for mid tier stuff and Bark River for the higher end stuff.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Benchmades and several Kershaws. I do not own any Cold Steel knives. Both are good knives. What I will add to the conversation is that Kershaw is sold at Walmart and probably other national chains. I have never seen a Benchmade at anywhere other than a local shop that was a Benchmade dealer. I don't say that to disparage Kershaw or Walmart, just to say that there are a heck of a lot of Walmarts out there selling Kershaws at pretty cheap prices.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Lol...I have all the brands mentioned and do think Benchmade is a higher quality tool. I like my Cold Steel knives and had no idea they had such a bad reputation.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Cold Steel knives and they are fine. Its all the marketing hype and nutty videos that you have to get past.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I only have 1 really nice knife. It's a Benchmade. I love it.

This ^^^

I also have a kershaw leek that I like very much for a lower end knife, it's awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel pretty cheap. It stays in the truck.
Seems well made.
Then I came across this video. Smile

I also have a couple of Kershaw, CRKT, and Spyderco knives.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHvGZBcIEy8

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel's fixed blade SRK was (and maybe still is?) issued to Navy Seals going through BUDS (Basic Underwater Demolition/Seal) training.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I admit I'm a Benchmade-a-holic so my choice is clear. I have a few of them and they have damn near consumed me for a couple decades.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post