SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Need your thoughts and opinions subject knives
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your thoughts and opinions subject knives Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm an not a big Benchmade fan. They are pricey for what you get and their knives tend to look generic. The Axis lock is cool and all but it really limits you in some areas (flippers).

That being said, Benchmade is 100% the way to go here. Kershaw and Cold Steel have no pricing restrictions and you will get eaten up by Amazon/Walmart etc.

Benchmade has very strict price controls so the price online is the same as the price in the store. That will do you much better as you don't have to compete on price.

If Kershaw comes with ZT, as said before, that is the way to go. They have the same pricing structure as Benchmade and use better materials for similar prices.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
You’ll sell all of them. Also call spydercoWink

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Kershaw seems to be the "hot" knife company, today. I don't really follow the factory knives but I know there is an active Kershaw community.

Personally, the only factory knives I've carried are Spyderco and older Gerbers, no experience with others.

Like others said, ignore Cold Steel.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have one CRKT, one cold steel, and a bunch of Benchmades. My next knife will most likely be a Benchmade, and the one after that...

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can only pick one I would say Kershaw, especially if the ZT line is included. You pretty much have all the price points covered; $15 made in China, $50-100 made in the USA, $150+ higher end knives (ZT). It seems to me that you would sell a lot more $50 Kershaw Links than $150-200 knives.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
OK Good News!
Benchmade has made me an authorized dealer!

NOW I need the members help and Guidance.
I have to place my opening order with 24 knives....
WHICH ONES??????
Anyone interested, I will give you a hell of a deal for helping me make my opening order....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my mini-Grip, and carry way more than my mini-barrage - mainly because it's a little thinner. The Valet may be my next Benchmade.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
OK Good News!

WHICH ONES??????
Anyone interested, I will give you a hell of a deal for helping me make my opening order....

Griptillians are their best sellers by FAR.

940 is the best knife they make hands down.

The Proper is a new knife from them that is VERY hot.

The Bugout is another popular one that's new.

Stick with basic stuff, no need to get too fancy yet until you know your clientele.

Griptillians, Mini-Grips will be your volume. The 940 is the best so you will want them.
Propers and Bugouts are cheaper and the new hot ones so you'll move them. I think those should be the bulk of your order.

The Grips and Propers come in lots of colors so stick with what colors sell in your area.

If spring assisted knives sell in your store, add in some knives from the Barrage line.

I would get at least one Infidel as a show piece. It's their most famous knife and will draw lots of eyeballs to the counter.

A few different variants of propers, grips, mini-grips, with a couple bugouts, 940s and barrages (if people like spring assist) around and Infidel would be the makings of a solid Benchmade counter.

Ok 24 Knives.

6 mini-Grips in 2 or 3 colors/handle materials
4 Regular Grips in 2 colors/handle materials
4 Propers in all different colors/materials
2 940 Osbourne
2 Bugouts
2 mini-Barrage
2 531 Pardue
1 Infidel
1 710

Edit: Looks like you are online only, sorry I thought you were Brick and Mortar. I would skip the Infidel and just get another of one of the other knives I listed.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
OK Good News!

WHICH ONES??????

Griptillians are their best sellers by FAR.

940 is the best knife they make hands down.

The Proper is a new knife from them that is VERY hot.

The Bugout is another popular one that's new.

Stick with basic stuff, no need to get too fancy yet until you know your clientele.

Griptillians, Mini-Grips will be your volume. The 940 is the best so you will want them.
Propers and Bugouts are cheaper and the new hot ones so you'll move them. I think those should be the bulk of your order.

The Grips and Propers come in lots of colors so stick with what colors sell in your area.

If spring assisted knives sell in your store, add in some knives from the Barrage line.

I would get at least one Infidel as a show piece. It's their most famous knife and will draw lots of eyeballs to the counter.

A few different variants of propers, grips, mini-grips, with a couple bugouts, 940s and barrages (if people like spring assist) around and Infidel would be the makings of a solid Benchmade counter.

Ok 24 Knives.

6 mini-Grips in 2 or 3 colors/handle materials
4 Regular Grips in 2 colors/handle materials
4 Propers in all different colors/materials
2 940 Osbourne
2 Bugouts
2 mini-Barrage
2 531 Pardue
1 Infidel
1 710

Edit: Looks like you are online only, sorry I thought you were Brick and Mortar. I would skip the Infidel and just get another of one of the other knives I listed.

Thanks for your great advice!
I DO have a storefront as well!
My Main Business is Medical supplies and equipment but we outfit Police Fire Rescue throughout the state, hence the new knife business.
I'm listed on CRKT Dealer locator lincoln Medical DBA Crosstown Concepts.

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy runs a pretty big knife review website so I got his opinion for you as well:

8 Grips
8 Mini-grips
4 940s
1 Infidel
1 Valet
1 Crooked River
1 Seibert Fixed Blade

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for your great advice!
I DO have a storefront as well!
My Main Business is Medical supplies and equipment but we outfit Police Fire Rescue throughout the state, hence the new knife business.
I'm listed on CRKT Dealer locator lincoln Medical DBA Crosstown Concepts.

If you outfit first responders, you will sell a TON of Benchmades.

I might have to change this list and you'll probably want more Autos (presidio) and Triages

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
My buddy runs a pretty big knife review website so I got his opinion for you as well:

8 Grips
8 Mini-grips
4 940s
1 Infidel
1 Valet
1 Crooked River
1 Seibert Fixed Blade

Sounds easy...
Oh wait, there's colors of blades, colors of grips, plain edge or combination edge.
I never owned an$200 knife, what is the best seller according to you guys that own one?
I'm afraid I will become hooked on this drug after I feel them...

I continue to appreciate owners opinions.

What about their rescue tool?

Any 1st responders here to offer their thoughts?

This company plays hardball, no fooling around. You bought it you own it. PERIOD!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

8 Grips
8 Mini-grips
4 940s
1 Infidel
1 Valet
1 Crooked River
1 Seibert Fixed Blade

Sounds easy...
Oh wait, there's colors of blades, colors of grips, plain edge or combination edge.
I never owned an$200 knife, what is the best seller according to you guys that own one?
I'm afraid I will become hooked on this drug after I feel them...

I continue to appreciate owners opinions.

What about their rescue tool?

Any 1st responders here to offer their thoughts?

This company plays hardball, no fooling around. You bought it you own it. PERIOD!

Yeah, Benchmade is tough on dealers. 24 knives shouldn't be a hard sell. I'm sure you could offload them here easily if needed.

The Triage is usually the go-to 1st responder over a rescue knife. People like folders.

As far as handle colors, blade colors, combo edge vs straight etc, look into what styles and colors sell for CRKT for you. Combo edge is not nearly as popular as plain edge. When in doubt, stick with plain stuff (plain edge, uncoated blades, black handles).

The Griptillian is their best seller by far, any dealer will tell you that.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

That being said, Benchmade is 100% the way to go here. Kershaw and Cold Steel have no pricing restrictions and you will get eaten up by Amazon/Walmart etc.

Benchmade has very strict price controls so the price online is the same as the price in the store. That will do you much better as you don't have to compete on price.

If Kershaw comes with ZT, as said before, that is the way to go. They have the same pricing structure as Benchmade and use better materials for similar prices.

So True the whores on amazon and eBay are either selling counterfeits (They both are loaded with these) or off the back of the truck products.
CRKT will not honor any warranty unless purchased from and authorized dealer (A good thing...)

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
If you can only pick one I would say Kershaw, especially if the ZT line is included. You pretty much have all the price points covered; $15 made in China, $50-100 made in the USA, $150+ higher end knives (ZT). It seems to me that you would sell a lot more $50 Kershaw Links than $150-200 knives.

I am talking to kershaw as well. I've done a lot of CRKT sales, they have all the best knife designers (under contract) In terms of design they have some of the prettiest knives out there. They are ready to start enforcing their MAP pricing as I discussed with the President of the company (Who Left Kershay and brought a lot of these designers with him and put them under an exclusive contract. (Very Smart!)
The most impressive innovation they have is the VEFF serration. Tom Veff is a really interesting guy (Google him. He taught me a lot. He was under Kershaw (as well as Ken Onion) who didn't offer them and contract so they went to CRKT (Stupid move by Kershaw)

Cold Steel has multi national manufacturing, I selected Italy and Taiwan Items, no China. I will have about 12 models of theirs.

Choices sells knives.

I'm still learning, though. I got Medical in my blood, but looking to launch a fun side business.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, Benchmade is tough on dealers. 24 knives shouldn't be a hard sell. I'm sure you could offload them here easily if needed.

The Triage is usually the go-to 1st responder over a rescue knife. People like folders.

THAT's a Good thing to keep the value of their product out of the hands of internet whores!

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The bugout has me interested. I tend to get plain or gray, plain edge blades. If you sell to LEO the SOCP dagger should be a good seller.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Update: Spoke with my Benchmade rep today, I am "approved" for becoming a dealer. Luckily, he will give me their top 20 sellers and personal coaching to help me with the best product mix, I was mildly stressing over all the choices within 1 knife name.
I need to put together my opening order (surprised to hear a 3 week avg. for delivery!)
If anyone is THINKING of getting a Benchmade, let me know, as I will put it in my opening order and give you a 15% discount off MAP!
Email me (In Profile)
I will post what the final inventory will be, although date of arrival is unknown.
I still look forward to your inputs and special thanks to Scurvy for the telephone chat!

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have purchased Emerson, Spyderco, and Benchmade knives from Amazon and have never received a fake. To label Amazon as an Internet whore is wrong. The savings were considerable when compared to the price on the manufacturer's website.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I have purchased Emerson, Spyderco, and Benchmade knives from Amazon and have never received a fake. To label Amazon as an Internet whore is wrong. The savings were considerable when compared to the price on the manufacturer's website.

Hmmm, I think you read into this wrong.
I was referring to lowball price sellers not the Amazon or eBay, themselves...