SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Sanding down an Emerson???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanding down an Emerson??? Login/Join 
posted
I know I’ve read about it before either here or on another website, but I’m looking for advice on smoothing down the g10 scales on an Emerson knife. I like the grippiness of it but it’s going to absolutely destroy my pants if I don’t smooth it out.

I’m thinking a light grit sand paper and just a few minutes should take some of the sharpness out of it.

Had anybody here done this??? What sandpaper did you use? How long did it take.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd use 3M wet/dry sandpaper.

My Spyderco Military G10 scales destroyed my blue jeans.

Pictures are always appreciated.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've used some of the 3M white abrasive pads on my Emerson. It worked very well. Then I adjusted the clip tension. Makes the knife very user friendly for me now.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Do you intend to sand the flats or round over the edges?

Just curious.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The only part you should really need to smooth out is the contact point underneat the clip.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Do you intend to sand the flats or round over the edges?

Just curious.

I’m not sure yet, I was going to start with the area under the clip and go from there. I have several pairs of hunting pants that cost 150-200 dollars and I don’t really want to shred them with just from carrying a knife so I’m going to play around with it until I get it the way I like it.

I just got 2 brand new Emerson’s and there’s probably a 3rd one getting ordered sooner or later.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of sanding down my Emerson’s as well, as they have ripped my pants up to no end, but I was wondering how people did it. Do you guys take the scales off or sand them mounted on the knife?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I was thinking of sanding down my Emerson’s as well, as they have ripped my pants up to no end, but I was wondering how people did it. Do you guys take the scales off or sand them mounted on the knife?

I just take the clip off and rub one side of the knife then the other on the 3M pad.
I tend to not over think it.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Okay good to know. I just didn’t want to chance the G10 grit/dust getting into the action and causing any pivot grittiness.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I recently researched this very issue as I just picked up my second Emerson (CQC-7B) as a 10 year anniversary (work) gift to myself.

A simple solution is to use a piece of denim as “poor man’s sandpaper”.

I just finished “sanding” down mine and I have to say it worked pretty damn well.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a ZT0620 or 0630. Problem solved. Emerson designed, much higher build quality.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I recently researched this very issue as I just picked up my second Emerson (CQC-7B) as a 10 year anniversary (work) gift to myself.

A simple solution is to use a piece of denim as “poor man’s sandpaper”.

I just finished “sanding” down mine and I have to say it worked pretty damn well.

this is what I did, it worked great, took about 10 minutes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Buy a ZT0620 or 0630. Problem solved. Emerson designed, much higher build quality.

Ive seen claims like this around the internet but in my experience, Emerson build quality is fantastic.