SIGforum
GA Coyote versus Benchmade (bloody yote warning)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/9380065244

June 02, 2018, 04:47 PM
feersum dreadnaught
GA Coyote versus Benchmade (bloody yote warning)
“This isn’t good because I have never seen a coyote that close in daytime,” said Nate. “Well, I’ve never seen a coyote that close period. I’m sure I’ve passed them many times in the woods, but their first inclination is to get away from you. It seemed like this one just found me out.”

Nate started to clap his hands and yell, trying to scare the coyote off so he could get back to his truck. The animal paid no attention to the noise and continued to stand in the way staring back at him. It showed no signs of aggression, but it didn’t move all the same. Nate tried clapping and yelling again but still got no reaction from the coyote.

“I thought, ‘Maybe, just maybe, people have left food on the trail, and this thing associates me with food, but it’s not going to be aggressive about it,’” said Nate. “So I was just going to take a really wide berth and get around this guy. My plan was to never turn my back on it, but I was going to cut off the trail, make a very wide path, and maintain eye contact with it but get around to the other side of it where I could get to the truck.”

Nate began to make his way around the coyote, and he had barely taken two steps before the animal growled, lunged at him and latched onto his boot. Between slipping on the wet ground and trying to kick the animal off his boot, Nate lost his footing and hit the ground.

“It let go of my boot and re-latched onto my shin,” said Nate. “That’s when it actually tore my pants and broke the skin. I was able to kick it off with my right foot though and somehow pin its head between both of my feet. That’s when I was able to get my knife out of my pocket and was able to stab it once between its shoulders and its back.”

After he finished off the coyote, Nate called the Jones County Sheriff’s department, who then got in contact with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at nearby Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge. They sent someone out to get a report, take pictures and send the coyote off to test for rabies.

http://www.gon.com/news/hiker-attacked-coyote-georgia

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
June 02, 2018, 06:23 PM
arfmel
Betcha it has the rabies
June 02, 2018, 06:24 PM
Butch 2340
That's classic rabid animal behavior.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

June 05, 2018, 03:42 PM
jhe888
I would also be worried about rabies or other disease. Those things are normally quite skittish.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 06, 2018, 10:32 AM
myrottiety
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I would also be worried about rabies or other disease. Those things are normally quite skittish.

I saw a follow up report here in GA. They said it was confirmed rabies incident and the guy was going through the shots.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
June 07, 2018, 03:51 PM
konata88
Side track. One stab and that’s it? Lucky stab? Or educated placement? What is the target in these situations?

If carrying, better to have gun in hand or knife?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
June 13, 2018, 12:08 PM
guardianangel762
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Side track. One stab and that’s it? Lucky stab? Or educated placement? What is the target in these situations?

Just keep stabbing man...he got lucky with one I would rather be thorough than get hurt more by not working hard enough in that situation.

When the thing was staring at him a gun would be great. When it latched on a knife might be better.

June 14, 2018, 12:13 AM
maladat
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

"That’s when I was able to get my knife out of my pocket and was able to stab it once between its shoulders and its back."

Sounds like by luck or good planning or both he cut the spinal cord.