SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    How brittle are ceramic knife blades?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How brittle are ceramic knife blades? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
A recent news story piqued my interest and got me to wondering how resistant ceramic blades are to breaking if any bending force was applied to them. Most of the ceramic blade knives I’ve seen were kitchen utensils, and their blades were pretty thin. Are there such knives with thicker blades that would be more suitable for heavy or “rough” use?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Very brittle. All the ceramic kitchen knives I decided to try out ended breaking. Finally I got a more expensive camp style knive, and it snapped in half on a flimsy clear plastic blisterpack package. I'm not wasting any more time on them.

(Interestingly, I read a review where someone else had snapped his same model on a light blisterpack. On about the third use like me. This is a thick camp knife you're supposed to be able to whittle wood with.)

That must have been the Paris knife attack. I noticed it, too. Too bad it didn't fail then.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have an unbroken ceramic folder by Boker. Just use sensibly. Very light. Excellent for food use at work.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of examples. I have no idea who made the little pocket knife. Its really nice and used as a knife, works great. I just don't loan it to anyone, including my wife. Most female of the species think a pocket knife can double as a pry bar.

One Christmas a few years back I went to the China store, harbor freight, and bought my DILs several of the nearly transparent white ones. Not really a gag gift, but also not expecting them to survive. But at least they had one sharp knife for a while. It only took a couple of weeks until I saw one with a big chip out of the edge. Frown

I have a damascus folder with a really hard and sharp center lamination. On either side is a much softer steel. Explained to me that its still not for prying, but the softer pieces tend to make the knife have a sharp edge but not break as easily. Guess I gotta go look for it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

It turns out that the news article I saw that mentioned an attack with a “ceramic” knife was wrong. A follow-up article stated that the attacker used some sort of “steel” knife and an “oyster” knife. If there was any sort of screening at the site, it was probably bypassed because the BG was a long time employee. I also decided to look into ceramic blade knives myself and ordered a cheap one. The packaging clearly stated that it could be detected by metal detectors, so I assume there is a metal piece in the plastic handle.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer a sharper edge that comes on or is able to be restored on a Ceramic blade. Try a cheap one if you just need to play with one to see what they are like........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My only ceramic kitchen knife lost the point pretty quickly. We still used it for a while, but finally just tossed it. No point, and too much effort to sharpen.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife this set of Kyocera ceramic knives a couple of years ago.

They seem to be holding up to daily use.

https://www.amazon.com/Kyocera...2QCC1TJ67ERTC0W6RXMG

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ken Onion Worksharp unit and special band for sharpening ceramic knives. Works really well. My DIL and two neighbors wives have them and I keep all of them sharpened.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post