SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Lived in East TN for 22 Years - First Trip to Smoky Mountain Knife Works Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lived in East TN for 22 Years - First Trip to Smoky Mountain Knife Works Today Login/Join 
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted
I wanted a new fixed blade and figured it would be easy now that tourist season (and the traffic) is mostly over.

I knew what I wanted and had another stop to make so I didn't spend much time walking the floors but that could be a dangerous place for the bank accounts! Yeah, there's quite a bit of junk but also some really nice stuff. Stopped at one case that had a pocket folder (grandpa style, not tacticool) with a 3-3.5 inch blade for almost $3,000 and a fixed blade with a giraffe bone handle that was around $2,300.

I got my ESEE 6 (and also an ESEE 4, ugh) and moved on to Bass Pro.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I like SMKW, and go there a couple times a year as it's a manageable distance from where I live plus we're in the area for my daughter's travel volleyball over the winter/spring months.

That said their prices in store suck.
If you prod them they will honor their online prices.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun place to visit. I would appreciate a nice cutlery shop to actually try things in my hand. How do you like the ESEE 4?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I visited that shop years ago. It was like a kid in a candy store with a wallet full of money.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but for me it was probably 30 years. We used to go to the Acorn shop in Gatlinburg, too. But thats now gone, I hear. They used to even stock Randall's. All leather washer models, but still it was rare to find a shop with things in stock and priced at list! No wait even. My wife and I haven't been there in a long time. I hear my favorite motel, Riverhouse motor lodge, burned in the big fire. Now I don't even have a place to stay!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Went there last weekend. Parking was a challenge. Lots at which to look. ZT cabinet was not very full. No discounts on really good stuff. Some helpful folks. Some not really interested in helping. Left without purchasing.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Was there this past weekend. Didn’t walk out empty handed. Bought a CRKT Batum.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Buds Guns is right next door if I remember right.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It is. One stop wallet emptying shopping.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Sounds like a fun place to visit. I would appreciate a nice cutlery shop to actually try things in my hand. How do you like the ESEE 4?

Voshterkoff: I apologize for not replying before. I was on a motorcycle camping trip when you posted and didn't check in until now.

I like the 4 very much! It is a more "practical" knife to tote around compared to the 6. My only wish is that the grip would have a little more fill or arch around the middle finger for better purchase. Will get some pics up later.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post