SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Traditionals??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditionals?? Login/Join 
posted
I've really avoided getting into traditional pocket knives for a long time. I would prefer more modern knives that I am more likely to use. Also, I just don't see myself using a traditional knife as much, and I don't like the idea of holding on to safe queens.
However, I've long looked at and admired the patterns and options offered by GEC, and especially those by Northwood's Knives (knivesshipfree).
Well, yesterday I was fortunate enough to get a couple; one for me and one for a close friend.

The Northwoods Ocoee Jack:

Is anyone else into collecting or using traditionals?

-sk

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Good looking knife, that's a very usable blade shape. I carry a Wharncliffe Trapper on occasion and have a couple of fancy customs. Nothing wrong with a slipjoint or everyday chores, open a box, an envelope, clean nails etc.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, UTsig! I will probably carry both a modern and this traditional. Maybe for formal gatherings, this will be my tux-knife. I’m super excited about it!! And this will be my first experience with desert ironwood as well. I had a bunch of points accrued with ksf, so I was actually able to get this for a very good price. Well, the first one, at least.

(Ps: I was raised just down the road from you, in Bloomington Hills area of St. George)

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's just purdy Esskay. You may want to consider a knife slip to keep it in place in your pocket. I carry either a Case or Queen stockman in one. will keep your pocket in one piece too.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I love Wharncliffes.

Yes, I like traditional slipjoints; I grew up with them and am perfectly comfortable opening and closing a pocket knife with two hands. Also tend to like slimmer blades which are frequently found on older styles. I don't expect a pocket knife to do the work of a fixed blade, so they don't have to be as big, heavy, broad-bladed, or sturdy as many modern folders.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I don’t have it in my possession yet, but supposedly later today. Northwoods do come with a leather slip, but they have been a little bulky in the past. I’m hoping their new slip design is a little smaller and form fitting.
These don’t tend to come very sharp from the factory so I am going to have to give them some stone work soon. I have a wicked edge and a sharpmaker. Not sure which one will work best on this.

Thanks fellas.

-sk

posted Hide Post
I got the knives, three days ahead of expected delivery. Here are some of my unprofessional pictures:

They aren't terribly dull, but they aren't lightsaber sharp either. The pull is smooth and easy. Half-stop. I like the new leather pocket-slip design. It is smaller and uses thinner leather and will break in easier and carry better. I can't wait to hear which one is mine so I can start carrying it.

-sk

posted Hide Post
And even though I said I haven't gotten into collecting traditionals and don't like safe queens, here are the Ocoee Jacks set next to a couple Madison Barlows (GEC pattern 74) that I picked up several years ago. Both are still uncarried and unused. (One mammoth, one denim micarta)

It is noticeably smaller, though true width is about the same, and will be easier to carry in pocket. Old slip design vs. new slip design displayed as well.

-sk

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I have a few 'trads' in the collection, and EDC-them on a semi-regular basis:

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northwoods is about to have another drop of pocket knives this coming Wednesday. They are calling it the Heritage Jack and it is based on the GEC 86 frame. 4 cover materials: mammoth, two bone, and two micarta. You can find photos on their social media page.

Just wanted to throw an FYI out there if this is your sort of thing. They usually sell out quickly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
[b]I have a few 'trads' in the collection, and EDC-them on a semi-regular basis:

Sory I didn’t see this sooner; those have some incredible covers! Very very nice! I really like that multi-tool.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
This is probably the closest thing to traditional that I have in my collection.

Friction folder made by Michael Morris. Made from an old file. Black Micarta scales.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
This is probably the closest thing to traditional that I have in my collection.

Friction folder made by Michael Morris. Made from an old file. Black Micarta scales.

Badass!!

Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
After collecting Case knives for over 20 years and getting very upset over the quality, I was lucky to find GEC about 3 months ago.
Happy to say I know own 4 GEC knives and just ordered my 5th. Quality like Case has never done and such good feeling knives from Walk and talk to just the over all feel of the individual knife. I am happy to say that I will now be collecting GEC Knives. I will still do Case from time to time and I collect Hen and Rooster knives as well. So, I have the sickness in a bad way. I also have 6 fixed blade knives from Bowie to skinning knives. Just a hobby.
Hillbilly Dan
Life Member of NRA
NC Tar Heel

Posts: 317 | Location: Murray, KY | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a GEC in late December, after I received it seven more followed, wow what quality. Sure would like one of those Northwoods if anyone wants to sell or trade!

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barbarosa1:
I ordered a GEC in late December, after I received it seven more followed, wow what quality. Sure would like one of those Northwoods if anyone wants to sell or trade!

They generally will have 4 Northwoods releases a year, and they most often will follow the current GEC pattern being produced. It can be fun guessing at which model will be next, and the buying process can be intense/frustrating.

I’ll post up here when I hear about the next release, but you can also sign up to get email notifications. It’s all a lot of hype, but they are very nice knives to be sure. I wouldn’t want to pay second hand prices though.

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post