SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Switchblades-Auto knifes now legal in IL.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switchblades-Auto knifes now legal in IL. Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
It looks like the knife laws in IL. changed last week. If you have a IL. FOID card you can now legally carry a switchblade or automatic knife. Deployment is not limited and blade length is not limited. Open or concealed carry OK.

Buying advise?

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Good news, armored! Michigan also; recently rescinded the old statute, and will allow full-auto carry in October.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
It looks like the knife laws in IL. changed last week. If you have a IL. FOID card you can now legally carry a switchblade or automatic knife. Deployment is not limited and blade length is not limited. Open or concealed carry OK.

Buying advise?

It depends on a few factors, primarily how much do you want to spend? Whether you want an OTF, or a traditional side-opener.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

Buying advise?

It depends on a few factors, primarily how much do you want to spend? Whether you want an OTF, or a traditional side-opener.

I might splurge on this, but I don't want to get into the "cost of a firearm" type price. $250 for something special.
A knife I would actually use.
I started looking, saw the Spyderco conversion but don't think I could pull the handle on $350+.
Benchmade also looked good.
Any advice is welcome.
Good place to shop used?

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Don't know of any "used" resources.
All 3 of my autos have been bought from BladeHQ.

I like that many of their product pages also have accompanying videos with a representative giving product details.

There are multitudes of autos available for the price you mentioned.

As eTripper mentioned, up to you to decide on OTF or side-opener. Blade length, blade shape, opener type...all additional things to consider.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Benchmade AFO or AFO2. Microtech LUDT is also in the same price range as the Benchmade. Right around $200. There are a couple Benchmade and Microtech groups on Facebook where dealers hang out. The UTX-85 is about $200 too. Had one for a bit but the novelty of an OTF wore our pretty quick.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
You can pretty much box-the-compass at this sight. Pioneer Valley has been around for a long time, and carries low, medium, and high-end stuff. A lot of choices between $100-$200 dollars.

https://www.pvk.vegas/

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I'm loving it finally here. I have a HK Turmoil in FDE and recently just picked up a couple cheaper Boker Kalishnikovs and a Microtech LUDT.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
You can pretty much box-the-compass at this sight. Pioneer Valley has been around for a long time, and carries low, medium, and high-end stuff. A lot of choices between $100-$200 dollars.

https://www.pvk.vegas/

A word of caution about PVK. Before buying from them, I'd read the feedback section on BladeForums. That should have kept me from even considering doing business with them, but sometimes the lure of a knife outweighs sound judgment.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
If your reticent about Pioneer Valley, check-out EK Knives. They are a Microtech dealer, but on the pricey-side of the ledger.

https://www.eknives.com/

BladeHQ also offers a lot of lower-budget choices:

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Si...ening-Automatics--40

posted Hide Post
Benchmade 3550 would be my choice.

I got lucky and found one of these on the secondary market.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BladeForums has a buy/sell section for autos. That's where I bought my Protech TR-3, which is my other recommendation -- Protech autos. For an out the side, I really like their TR-3. And they have responsive customer service, if you need it. Microtech is not regarded very highly in CS, but I've never dealt with them personally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PKFan,

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah Bladeforums is like crack for a Knife enthusiast. If you do some research, invest some time on the forum and shop wisely you can try different knives at minimal $ risk. Your out of pocket can be shipping and fees basically.

Microtech- There's been numerous complaints on Bladeforums about their slow customer service. It just seems habitual. And I think you'll void the warranty if you sharpen a microtech otf knife yourself.

13. Can I sharpen my own knife?
Knives with blades that have been sharpened outside of a Microtech® factory repair department will not be covered under warranty.
http://www.microtechknives.com/company/faq/#19

The Diskin Fire just gives me the giggles when I play with it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post