SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Fixed-Blade Sheath & Pistol Carry On Same Side?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed-Blade Sheath & Pistol Carry On Same Side? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I'm thinking of acquiring a Fällkniven F1. I typically carry a pistol either IWB or OWB at about 3:30 to 4 o'clock.

I'm thinking of something like R. Grizzle's "Grizzle Special" (R. Grizzle Knife Sheaths and Other Gear), but maybe with a bit more handle exposed.

What I'm wondering is if pistol at 3:30 or 4 o'clock and a knife at around 3 o'clock might not get in the way of one another?

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to cross-draw the knife?

Experiences? Thoughts?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
If I have a pistol at 3-4, then I put a fixed blade at 6, canted so I can draw it with my strong hand, or have it at 10-11, canted for cross draw. The 6 o’clock position is fine for hiking and such, but not recommended for driving. If I have a back pack or vest on, then the knife might also go on the chest strap on my weak side.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up, Kravashera.

I'll be acquiring only on sheath for this knife, so I need to get it right the first time. I'm vacillating between a right-hand sheath at 3 o'clock, just forward of my carry position, and a cross-draw sheath, with a cant, at ±9 o'clock.

The reason I'm thinking a sheath at 3 o'clock would actually work is carry pistols don't get in the way of my pocket. For those times I carry at 3 o'clock (rare), I could move the knife back to 4 o'clock or so.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve never tried carrying a knife in front of my carry pistol, but I’ve carried one behind it.

A IWB pistol with a OWB knife worked okay. But I found that occasionally the grip of the pistol bumped into the handle of the knife. No real issue but it was annoying.

OWB pistol with OWB knife, the pistol grip and knife handle knocked together with virtually every step. It was very annoying.

I solved both at the time by pushing the knife back to around 5 o’clock and tucking the sheath into my back right pocket. I don’t know why but I carry my wallet in my back left pocket. I think most people carry back right. So for me the pocket was empty anyway. I really liked that method.

Now I carry horizontal at 12 o’clock just to the left of my belt buckle. So call it 11:58. I really like this method because I can access the knife with both hands easily. It is also way more concealed horizontal. Though that may not be a concern for you.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, PH.

I'm now leaning toward a cross-draw sheath at ±9 o'clock. Probably with a slight forward cant.

The F1, at over 8" in overall length, and as thick as is its handle, probably wouldn't work well in a horizontal sheath in front. <grabs 6" wooden ruler from desk drawer and checks...> Yeah... I don't think that'd work well.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The F1, at over 8" in overall length, and as thick as is its handle, probably wouldn't work well in a horizontal sheath in front. <grabs 6" wooden ruler from desk drawer and checks...> Yeah... I don't think that'd work well.

Yeah, the F1 might be a tad big for horizontal carry Wink.

I ordered a knife from member Dozer that is much smaller overall.

I’d love to get your feedback after you’ve carried that way for a while.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested in seeing how this works out. I too want to carry a fixed blade and cannot decide on weak side cross draw or some other configuration. I also pocket carry a P938, so that eliminates a pocket knife.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think that, if I do this, it'll be an off-side carry with fifteen degrees or so of cant, which rules out a snap loop.

posted Hide Post
Wondering... Why are you planning to carry fixed-blade knife? General utility, defense, both, other?

F1 is a great knife, by the way. I haven't used mine all that much, but I love it.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post