SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Kwaiken, well, Quasi Kwaiken/ Tanto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kwaiken, well, Quasi Kwaiken/ Tanto Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Well this is a design that has gently morphed over the ages. From a Japanese suicide tool to a modified blade that can look modern, the Kwaiken is one I have not had the pleasure of meeting at my grinder. I love all the modified grind angles that have come about, but I wanted to do something without the visual transitions of those angles. Something “smooth” visually.

I wanted THIN so I started with 1/8” CPMS35VN as I can grind the blade this material as thin as I want without warping from heat treat. I also wanted to do this with a flat grind as this will cut like a straight razor. There will be no chopping with this blade as it screams SLICE!!!! Before any edge or heat treat, it already bit me. Wink

I know that this should spark some opinions on HOW a Kwaiken should look, but it pretty much is one in my book. I just like being a little different! Should there be more made or revamp the idea? Hey it’s all for fun!
Merry Christmas to all⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️!
DBKnives

https://imgur.com/a/jJ2VuKj

https://imgur.com/a/JWHkbo8

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking blade, should finish nicely. I've collected this style for almost 30 years, seen a lot of interpretations of the Kwaiken. I think at this point you won't go wrong with what you envision it to be.

I started with Phill Hartsfield's back around 1990, the knife I liked the least was his Kwaiken. Thin steel, didn't allow for a pronounced grind. Today I own two "Kwaiken", one by Jason Knight, one by Ben Tendick and they are very different.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Those guys have very different styles. I really have become a fan of Bens, he’s a grinding Wizard, what am I saying, they BOTH are! I WISH I could throw steel around a grinder like those guys.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I WISH I could throw steel around a grinder like those guys.

You're doing fine, the fact that you keep expanding your skill is proof.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Ran into this at Northern Knives yesterday. Locally designed and made. Smaller than yours but a thick blade. I was impressed at the versatility of the blade.

https://www.northernknives.com...ta-handle-p123021899

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
This blade will be available to “ Finish-it your way!” I will post an advert in the Classifieds!!

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
That blade has a very sharp future!
O-Qua Tangin Wann

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I cannot wait myself! Sooooooon!!!!