SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New Micro UTX-85
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Micro UTX-85 Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I picked up a new UTX-85 the other day. This one has the new 204p apocalyptic blade with the top edge fully serrated/bottom edge plain, and the distressed handle. Kind of a different look vs. some of my satin bladed ones with clean handles. I am liking the distressed look the more I see it, and am more apt to use it as a small scratch or two would go largely unnoticed.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Nice! Looks mean.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at Omaha Knife yesterday, they have a bunch of those distressed Microtechs in stock in different colors. They look more cool in person than in his photo.

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have never owned and I don’t think I have handled an OTF knife. They, in concept, seem much more delicate to me. Are they just as robust as a good solid folder?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

There are at least a few videos that show absolute abuse of these OTF’s and they perform surprisingly well, though I would not ever hard use them because I just don’t see them for that role. Hard use to me equals fixed blade or maybe a robust folder. These may get some jobs done, but they are ‘spensive to chance it, and I like them for more gentlemanly edc tasks. You can get a nice folder like a PM2 or Para 3 that is less than half what these cost, and overall is a better EDC choice. The OTF’s (Microtech at least) are beautifully machined and well fit, kinda like little works of art, much like the Sebenzas of the folder world. The craftsmanship and engineering is appreciable and you get a good sense of the intricacies of the design, which funnily is really not even that complicated.

They certainly also fall into the tactical defensive role, as between one handed manipulation and the intimidation factor alone for some, they can be a convenient deterrent.

Truth be told though, for most including myself, the main reason is just the “cool” or “fun” factor as opening and closing these things is pretty addictive and entertaining.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have never owned and I don’t think I have handled an OTF knife. They, in concept, seem much more delicate to me. Are they just as robust as a good solid folder?

Probably not. Just as a solid folder isn't as robust as a fixed knife.

But they aren't delicate. They are easily up to the tasks we put ordinary knives to. They are more sensitive to lubrication than a folder, but that is because they are very closely machined and fitted. They like to be lubed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post