SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Randall knife quality

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Randall knife quality Login/Join 
posted
Hey all-

Is the quality of new Randall knives up to the standards of the old ones? Better?

My lady wants to buy me one and while I don't mind the 4.5 year wait, I'm curious if I'd be better off paying the premium for an older one, right now.

Thoughts?

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 1918 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey, go to the knife fora and watch. They argue about it all the time! Randall knives aren't really a production line product. They're often referred to as semi-custom. My oldest is 1949, and it doesn't show the characteristics of a brand new one. Still very well made and almost every knife maker wishes he could be that good. The state of the art just wasn't the same as today. I greatly prefer stag to the leather washers. Every deer had different antlers, so you do get more consistent with cheap plastic.

I'd suggest paying the premium to an authorized dealer who has a knife coming up for production. That way you get new production and often only need to wait a few months at the most. Same price or only a slight premium. At gun shows with a lot of knife dealers, you might even get one for less $. The economics make sense. They ordered their limit 5 years ago. Now they've got a knife ready to be built and they've got to take it regardless of how their sales are going. They can change it once and it can be built to your specs, if reasonable. (no ivory, micarta, etc.)

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 15363 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Hey, go to the knife fora and watch. They argue about it all the time! Randall knives aren't really a production line product. They're often referred to as semi-custom. My oldest is 1949, and it doesn't show the characteristics of a brand new one. Still very well made and almost every knife maker wishes he could be that good. The state of the art just wasn't the same as today. I greatly prefer stag to the leather washers. Every deer had different antlers, so you do get more consistent with cheap plastic.

I'd suggest paying the premium to an authorized dealer who has a knife coming up for production. That way you get new production and often only need to wait a few months at the most. Same price or only a slight premium. At gun shows with a lot of knife dealers, you might even get one for less $. The economics make sense. They ordered their limit 5 years ago. Now they've got a knife ready to be built and they've got to take it regardless of how their sales are going. They can change it once and it can be built to your specs, if reasonable. (no ivory, micarta, etc.)

Sound advice. Thanks.

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 1918 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Nordic Knives site, Dave Harvey is a really good guy to deal with, he has some for instant gratification.

http://www.nordicknives.com/ArtistRandallInstock

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arizona Custom Knives also has some.

http://www.arizonacustomknives...px?MakersFilter=3436

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 9845 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 yr old Bird & Trout that has seen quite a bit of use. Sent it back in 1998 for a sharpening and polish. Keeps an edge for a very long time. Then again...I have an old Rudy Ruanna skinner that has been just as sharp for years and years despite a lot of deer and elk skinning sessions.

Frankly I doubt many current Randall's even get used. I'd bet most go into collections.

Posts: 4745 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Dammit, you guys are killing me!

http://www.arizonacustomknives...%26ItemsPerPage%3D12

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb.

Posts: 37421 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A.G. Russell always has some on hand, too.

https://agrussell.com/knives/brand_id:57

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42315 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Oh my. I should never, ever have come back in this entire section, let alone this thread.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 6809 | Location: DFW Metroplex, so large and wide! | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I bought my Astro from Nordic, they were excellent to deal with. You can get almost any model from them, may cost a bit more, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Posts: 683 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old fat Motorcop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Dammit, you guys are killing me!

http://www.arizonacustomknives...%26ItemsPerPage%3D12

I just went on there, saw what a few of mine are going for....

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 465 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Pre-owned Model 14....came with a few scratchs, but I don't care. Had to have a new sheath made for it too...made exactly the way I wanted it. Pre-Owned can be a way too.
Then there's this:

Randall Limited Edition Challenger Commemerative, made with NASA Pad 39 Documented G-10 Handle. A collectors/museum piece imho.

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post