SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    School me on Chinese cleavers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on Chinese cleavers Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I've been getting very interested in acquiring a Chinese cleaver. It seems like there is a very large range (as with many knives) in price, but I'm not seeing much of a difference in design.

Am I missing some of the more subtle features? Is this the type of knife where the extra cash is a bit of a moot point, like paying for a $200 screwdriver?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I only know the basics. Two basic types: light for cutting, heavy for chopping. Most serious Chinese chefs have at least one of each. I use the light one most of the time. It naturally becomes a workhorse, and you'll be astonished at how many different tasks it can be used for. There was a time that it was all I used, and never touched chef's knives at all.

Traditional cleavers are carbon steel, but I guess the trend now is stainless or alloy. I'll stick with the carbon I've used for 40 years. You just have to wipe it down every time it gets wet, and that should put off the tendency to rust. A good chef will reflexively wipe down several times while preparing meals.

On the slightly different styles, the main thing is it should feel good in your hand. Only you can decide that. Some are toe-weighted, some heel-weighted.

You will need to sharpen regularly, so have the stones to do so.

As far as cost, it's just like knives. Better quality will cost more. If you can spring for the muti-hundred dollar layer-forged cleavers, great. They'll generally hold their edge longer and work better. However, a non-forged cleaver *can* be surprisingly high quality, due to better access to higher purity steels these days.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Good info. Can you recommend a stone that works for such large blades?

I wish I could get my hands on a few of cleavers, but I’m not aware of such a store in my area.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've actually become lazy and just use an Accu-sharp for a quick re-edge most of the time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.americastestkitche...s/4035-meat-cleavers

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bendable, those are heavy duty meat cleavers and not the Chinese style.

"Westerners are most familiar with cleavers as crude tools of butchery but there is tremendous variety and versatility in this class of cutlery. Traditionally, Chinese cooks use a single cleaver shaped knife for every task in the kitchen. The Chinese cleaver or Chinese chef’s knife is a thin delicate knife that slices and chops well with height that can be used to scoop up large volumes of product and enough mass that the spine or flat of the blade can be used to crush product before cutting."

https://youtu.be/7A6BPci0BEs
https://www.1843magazine.com/d...-only-knife-you-need

flesheatingvirus,

I've had an inexpensive Tarhong Chinese Ping (vegetable) Cleaver 8.5" x 4.25" Carbon Steel for years and years. Like kkina and his, it gets a LOT of usage.

Also have another inexpensive number in a beefier, kinda hybrid between western and Chinese styles in a Sky Light Chinese Utility Cleaver 7" x 3.14", 17° bevels, German X50CrMoV15 Stainless RC58.
They both do quite well. Big Grin

The sadly gone knifeforums.com had a kitchen knife subforum that had some tremendous reviews and discussions about the venerable Chinese cleaver. The bottomline was that the cheaper inexpensive models were what most Chinese used and were excellent performers. One could pay more or even a LOT more for modern cutlery steels and fancy handles and hardware but performance wouldn't necessarily improve all that much other than edge retention and initial quality control.

But like quality Japanese Gyuto chef's knives, having an upscale Chinese cleaver can be rewarding. Smile

CCK, Dexter, and similar inexpensive Chinese cleavers would be a decent way to explore to see if such an instrument resonates in your kitchen. Smile CCK Small cleaver was used and recommended in Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Magazine. You could always go upscale from there if desired.
https://www.reddit.com/r/chefk...r_a_chinese_cleaver/
https://knivesadvisor.com/best-chinese-cleavers/
https://www.foodsharkmarfa.com/best-chinese-cleavers/

https://www.korin.com/japanese...hinese-style-cleaver
https://japanesechefsknife.com...ions/chinese-cleaver
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cleavers.html
https://www.tigerchef.com/chinese-cleavers.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much! I have lots more to go on now. The Sugimoto and Takeda models are gorgeous.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Thanks so much! I have lots more to go on now. The Sugimoto and Takeda models are gorgeous.

I agree! And glad to be of help here. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
All I know is the one my dad uses is probably 40 years old and the blade near the tip is thinner and sharper for slicing, and the edge near the handle is thicker and made for chopping bone.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If you live near a city can you visit a restaraunt supply store? The utensils are usually very...well...utilitarian...made to last and affordable.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Winkler. American designed and made. Top quality.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Winkler. American designed and made. Top quality.

While highly badass, it is a bit thick for a slicer. Smile

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
flesheatingvirus,

Did you acquire a Chinese cleaver? If so, which one?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Please do tell! I want one now but want to be cheap ish. If I like, it'll end up being backup to a nicer one...

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consider looking at one of these:

https://saltycorn.com/products...-serbian-chefs-knife

Hand forged cleaver for $50. I can't remember if this is the exact place I got mine from but it might be. Mine is an awfully nice chunk of steel for $50........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
flesheatingvirus,

I’m waiting for Christmas. Most of the family always nags me for a list anyway, so I figured this would be a good one.

The Serbian knife Is pretty cool, but I still think I’d like a squared front end.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
flesheatingvirus,

I’m waiting for Christmas. Most of the family always nags me for a list anyway, so I figured this would be a good one.

Ah...smart man. But you haven't tipped your hand as to what make/model you'll put on your "wish list" for a Chinese cleaver! LOL

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking of keeping the first one cheaper- <$100. I’ll post back after selecting. I’m leaning towards the CCK large model.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m thinking of keeping the first one cheaper- <$100. I’ll post back after selecting. I’m leaning towards the CCK large model.

Either the small or large CCK would be a great choice. :thumbsup:
You may find no need to upgrade from that unless you really want some kitchen eye candy. Big Grin

The two models are quite close in size with the large blade just a half an inch longer and about the same in width compared to the smaller model. (9 x 4.33 vs 8.5 x 3.75)

FWIW my Tarhong Chinese carbon steel "ping" has a blade that measures 8.5" x 4.25".

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I've followed this thread with interest.

Never knew I wanted a Chinese cleaver until I read about them here Smile y'all are enablers like that.

But, I thought I'd work my way up to one, so I ordered a Nakiri first, and once I get used to it and find all the things it's good at, I will probably pick one up.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post