SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    School me on Chinese cleavers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on Chinese cleavers Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
bald1- when I google “Tarhong Chinese cleaver”, I don’t come up with much. Can you help me out?

Good call on that large vs small. The extra hair of size isn’t worth the $$$.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My Chinese cleaver is my favorite kitchen utensil. I have a wide selection of knives, some I inherited from my mother, others I bought when I was newly married. My cleaver was bought at a Chinese store, and I wasn't looking for a brand, just a utilitarian cleaver. Turns out it's a Hoffritz. I've had it over forty years, and with an occasional swipe with a steel, is one of the sharpest tools in the drawer. Another thread talks of crushing and peeling garlic; I learned how with my cleaver. I make quick work of onions, peppers, tomatoes, and other ingredients. In fact, I think having a Chinese cleaver has made me better with ALL my knives!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
bald1- when I google “Tarhong Chinese cleaver”, I don’t come up with much. Can you help me out?

It is a basic el cheapo of the type found in local Chinese shops. That said it continues to serve me well. It's pictured earlier in this thread. I bought it online a long time ago and don't remember where. But a search found these which show mine and similar models:
https://www.thundergroup.com/a...tdetail.asp?did=2613
https://www.thundergroup.com/a...cts.asp?Page=3&cid=1
https://www.tigerchef.com/thun...3---4-x-4-blade.html
Stay with the carbon steel like mine and NOT the cast iron blades. Links shown for styles and the last for having an unhidden price.

quote:
Good call on that large vs small. The extra hair of size isn’t worth the $$$.

If memory serves that's another reason Kimball recommended the CCK small model. Smile It is most likely the BEST choice in an inexpensive piece.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Yes I know this is an old thread. Big Grin

A friend and I have been discussing Nakiri and Cai Dao (Chinese vegetable knife aka Ping knife) and Santuko style knives for his use. This old thread came up on searches.

First, I don't think we ever heard what flesheatingvirus ended up with. Big Grin

Second, here are my well used cleavers pictured today that I mentioned in the 6th post on page 1.

The stain just below the handle-blade joint is from my thumb's pinch grip. Smile

Third my recommendation now is for the SHI BA ZI ZUO (aka Shibazi Zuo) F208-1 Clad 3-layer Stainless Steel (80Cr13 + 10Cr17) Ping knife. It has become an Asian chef favorite (search the web about this piece) and is a nice step up from the CCK's (Chan Chi Kee) which have also been plagued with gross price inflation.

F208-1 prices cited here are as of the date of this post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768H6PS9/ $43.96 ppd
https://www.aliexpress.com/ite...ml?spm=2114.12057483. $33.49 ppd

(There is a slightly smaller version available too known as the F208-2.)

FWIW I'm still happy with my high carbon steel ping cleaver despite it taking more attention to maintain than a stainless model would. Figuring most folks would prefer stainless is why the nod to the F208 series above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I confess!!

I got wrapped up at home on a million other things and still have no cleaver!

I will not let this happen again, so I just sent and ordered a CCK small cleaver. I needed to stop thinking and just do it. It seems like a good entry model, but I’m still thankful for the other suggestions because it likely is only my first.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just ordered a CCK small cleaver.

Good deal! ENJOY! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192