SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Great Eastern Cutlery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Eastern Cutlery Login/Join 
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted
I have recently found a fantastic knife company which I knew nothing about 3 months ago. I collect the new folders like Emerson, Spyderco and Several others, but I have collected Case knives for over 20 years. I like slip joint knives. I became unhappy with the quality of the current Case knives and started to look around. I found GEC, Great Eastern Cutlery, Titusville, PA. I know own 3 and will be buying another with a day or so.
These GEC knives are so well built and the quality is so amazing that I had to talk about them to other knife guys that might not know about them. The other nice part of it all is that they are American made. Check them out. You will not be sorry. I found a Distributer in my own hometown of Waynesville, NC. He is Franks Quality Knives. He carries several brands, but I buy my GEC's from him because of service and he is so easy to work with. Give them a try. Check out their web site.
Daniel Leatherwood
Life Member NRA
Old retired Hillbilly from NC.

Posts: 317 | Location: Murray, KY | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Great knives
Excellent fit/finish
Similar to Case in the 70s and early 80s
Here’s a good link to browse some of their stuff
https://www.knivesshipfree.com/great-eastern-cutlery/

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few Northwood's Knives, which are made by GEC. They do make some very nice stuff and their quality is great!

(link to pics of my recent aquisition)

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Queen Cutlery knives are/were also produced in Titusville, PA. Were they part of GEC?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Queen Cutlery knives are/were also produced in Titusville, PA. Were they part of GEC?

No. Queen and Schatt & Morgan were another company, but they closed their doors a couple years ago.

Great Eastern Cutlery is a company that bought up the Tidioute, Un-X-Ld, and Northfield knife companies in Titusville, several years ago. They make quality knives, but their production runs are kind of small compared to Case knives, because they're making knives on the original (for the most part) machinery. Dealers quickly run out of popular models & then customers have to wait until the company gets around to making another run.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now have the GEC addiction, 8 in one month!

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly Dan:
... but I have collected Case knives for over 20 years.

Dan, this sentence caught my eye when i first read it. As a Case collector, do you have any of their knives with the stabilized wood scales? My reason for asking is that my next door neighbor and another good friend produce and supply most (all?) of the product to Case. I've helped make some of it.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
]]44

I think at one time they were.

Posts: 317 | Location: Murray, KY | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
quote:

Dan, this sentence caught my eye when i first read it. As a Case collector, do you have any of their knives with the stabilized wood scales? My reason for asking is that my next door neighbor and another good friend produce and supply most (all?) of the product to Case. I've helped make some of it.

Sorry, I do not

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Link for you guys -some history about Great Eastern and more knife manufacturers.
Helping ur addiction.

https://www.collectorknives.net/

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
A bit of an update on my post about GEC knives. As of today I have 9 of these great quality knives. I got my 9th one today. It is a model 97 and I am so impressed in the quality and style of this fine pocket knife. It is large and fits the hand so well. All of the GEC knives I have are carbon steel and they have all been sharpened and they take an edge so well.
I highly recommend the Great Eastern Cutlery knives to anyone who likes folding old style knives. I get mine from a distributer in NC. He is Frank at Frank's Classic Knives, and he carries a full like of GEC plus some other brands and Custom knives. He does a good job in getting the knives to me. I hope to collect a lot of these knives to leave for my sons and Grandchildren some day.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’m liking these!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
I now have 15 of those GEC knives. They continue to put out great old time patterns. My last one was a whittler which I now use to sit on my porch in my rocking chair and make a big stick into a small one. I need to find some soft wood so I might try my hand at carving up something. Again to all my knife brothers out there. Try a Great Eastern Cutlery knife. You will like them.
Hillbilly Dan
Life Member NRA
Lifetime knife Lover

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
quote:

I believe that I have met your neighbors and bought some of their stabilized wood at the Blade Show the past couple of years. They do a great job.

Craig

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post