SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    My first Opinel, so simple yet so sophisticated

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first Opinel, so simple yet so sophisticated Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Maybe because it's French, I dunno? But I'm loving this little Opinel folder. It was gifted to me at Christmas. It's razor sharp and just so different from my daily carry Benchmade's or Spyderco. I just feel kinda fancy when I'm carrying it, especially in its factory leather sheath.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 746 | Location: On the outskirts of Raleigh | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my Opinels! I have a 6, 8, 10 slim, and now a 12. They are wonderful in the kitchen. Thin, sharp, and just plain useful. I usually carry a Benchmade, Spyderco, or ZT. I was very surprised at how much I love my Opinels.

Posts: 211 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opinels are just cool. They sharpen quickly and easily and get razor sharp. The rolling collar makes for a very strong knife too. Light to carry. Inexpensive too. What's not to like??

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 3624 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
I just feel kinda fancy when I'm carrying it, especially in its factory leather sheath.
Treat yourself to one with a figured-wood handle for the times you wear a suit.

Posts: 5325 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, inexpensive knives that cut way above their price point. I keep a #8 & #9 in carbon steel handy in the house for a bunch of cutting needs be it a letter, package, an apple or a loose thread. Always handy though I could have easily gone with a smaller model these fit my hand well if and when I slip one beside my wallet on the way out the door.

Posts: 26 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Based on the thread comments, gonna get an Opinel.
My EDC Spyderco Endura will spend some time in the drawer.

Posts: 1880 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Opinels are good knives, and at the price, are tremendous knives.

They have a solid lock, good steel, great blade geometry (very thin and are great cutters). They sharpen up nicely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 45236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post