SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Looking for folding pocket knife for carry in a business environment
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for folding pocket knife for carry in a business environment Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Kershaw leek. If its too big then kershaw scallion.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RETTOP:
When I need to be in coat and tie, I have a couple of William Henry knifes that are very easy to carry and meet your requirements. Granted, they are pricey, but they are the smoothest operating knives I own.

Wow! This is supposed to be a friendly place! Would be cheaper to have a serious Off Track Betting addiction then to get hooked on that stuff! Beautiful!

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for the ZT0900. 2.75" blade, great flipper. May look thicker than you want but sits well in your pocket. Wish they would make it with a carbon fiber or G10 scale to lighten (although 4.3oz isn't to bad).

The Emerson Combat Karambit has a 2.65" blade... just sayin' Smile

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
quote:
Originally posted by RETTOP:
When I need to be in coat and tie, I have a couple of William Henry knifes that are very easy to carry and meet your requirements. Granted, they are pricey, but they are the smoothest operating knives I own.

Wow! This is supposed to be a friendly place! Would be cheaper to have a serious Off Track Betting addiction then to get hooked on that stuff! Beautiful!

My wife gave me a William Henry knife - it doesn't go to the office. It is like a "BBQ Gun", it comes out for parties, to be shown off and seen, not for real use. So far, mine had cut ribbons on christmas presents...

It is the real deal though - wave damascus with ZDP-189 core, and very sharp.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, retired now, I traveled around the country inspecting construction sites foran AE firm. As it involved meeting with owners, as well as onsite with contractors, at hospitals, schools, museums, universities, MOBs, occasional bank, some federal projects, etc. the climate varied. I carried a Swiss army knife. Never seemed to cause an issue, and has a blade, as well as screwdrivers. The toothpick and tweezers were probably the most used tools though. Some clients were very sensitive, and an occasional metal detector were encountered. Lock blades of any type was a no at many places.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a vote for the ZT model ZT0450CF. very light weigh, just a overall great knife.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
There are many scales or framelocks with carbon fibre or titanium surfaces which are smooth enough to not damage dress pants. Have to be careful about how tight the clip is so that it doesn't damage the stitching or edge of the pocket.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Case Peanut.
I've had an office for 47 years.
Never a single knife fight.

Posts: 92 | Registered: April 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Benchmade Impel auto. Right at 2" blade, super light, thin and dressy enough it's never gotten a single comment about being "tactical" even when firing it open. I don't use a clip and it's comfortable in shorts, slacks and of course jeans.
The Reeves Mnandi has been on my radar for a while as an upgrade.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Victorinox Rambler.
- key ring
- toothpick
- tweezers
- blade, small
- bottle opener
- Phillips screwdriver 0 / 1, magnetic
- wire stripper
- nail file
- screwdriver 2.5 mm
- scissors

Everything you need plus its small. Carry one on me all the time. Doesn't bother coworkers when I use it to open letters.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I like something like this
Boker Plus Subcom

The blade is short but wide and substantial. In either black or titanium it can pass for a money clip.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

by CRKT

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Emerson mini CQC 7.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
The one I've carried for the past couple years is a Benchmade 530 plain edge

I like it because it's nice and thin, and very light. Doesn't alert the crotch-watchers that I'm carrying. Pocket clip isn't aggressive so it doesn't tear up my pockets.

ETA: unfortunately, I think they’re all 3.25” blade length

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C-Dubs,

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Mcusta makes some interesting designs, I cant speak to their quality though having never owned one.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
For everyday in the office, if my Chris Reeve Mnandi isn't in my pocket, it is my Spartan Blades Nymph (Titanium, you don't even know it is there).

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Mcusta makes some interesting designs, I cant speak to their quality though having never owned one.

I often have a Mcusta "tactility" VG-10 damascus / quince burl in my pocket at the office. very high quality folder.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't know what SigM4's office coworkers are like, but I think some of us are missing the point that he's looking for something thin and office and business-appropriate.

No one freaks out over a SAK, not even models like the Victorinox Soldier that have a large, Spyderco-style one-handed opening blade.

Spyderco Delica is a great choice but a Delica w/ black FRN handles and matte black full-serrated blade screams 'tactical' and 'weapon' to non-knife people. You don't want that kind of negative attention in the workplace.

A Delica w/ bright red, yellow, green, or orange FRN handle is looked at as a rescue, camp, or dive knife, i.e., not so threatening.

A Delica w/ straight edge and satin or chrome steel handle or Pakkawood scales is seen as a gentleman's knife.

When women see me pull out my black Leek, they glare and ask me why I carry around a switchblade and ask, "Is that legal?"
When they see me pull out my rainbow Leek, they ooh & ahh and ask to handle it.

My suggestions (some of them repeating others'):
Kershaw 3410 Chill - inexpensive, super light & thin. One of the smoothest opening folding knives, even w/o spring assist. Looks like a steak knife even w/ the G-10 scales which normally shout 'tacticool'.

Kershaw 1760 Skyline - one w/ colored scales would look less intimidating

Kershaw 1660 Leek - one of their most popular models. There are literally over a hundred variations, so you should be able to find one that suits you. My knock against the Leek is the OEM clip leaves too much of the knife sticking out, which leads to coworkers questioning your knife. The Skyline is a little guilty of this too. There are custom deep-carry clips in the aftermarket.

CRKT Ken Onion Ripple - has an artistic look to it, which is more likely to draw positive attention

SOG Twitch II - pretty much has all the qualities you want in a gentleman's knife including deep-carry clip. Either the satin finish or wood scales look very classy.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
opinel number 6, or an 8 if you think you can squeeze .15 of an inch. The slow methodical method to unlocking, opening, and locking puts people at ease.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If wearing dress slacks, I never clip a knife at the top of the pocket.

a. It screams to be noticed by sheeple co-workers.
b. Even if the co-workers aren't sheeple (though mine are), it just looks all wrong with slacks or suit pants.
c. That's what the change pocket in slacks or suit pants is for.

A decent pair of slacks or suit pants has a small pocket sewn in the bottom of the right front pocket, for holding change. It's absurdly ineffective for keeping change in, but a four inch or longer handled folding knife will nicely ride upright in it, easier to access than if clipped to the pocket, and completely hidden. I've carried all manner of folding knives that way for years, in the office. I have a PM2 in my pocket right now.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post