SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Looking for folding pocket knife for carry in a business environment
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for folding pocket knife for carry in a business environment Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Transitioning to a corporate job (again) from the field and will be wearing more slacks than I have in the recent past. Looking for a good folding pocket knife that I can carry in a front pocket. Can have no more than a 3” blade and would like a sleek/thin design to minimize clutter while in the pocket. At the same time looking for something substantial enough to be considered a real knife vs. my old Case pocket knife.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I have a ZT0770CF that is lightweight, has a slim smooth profile and a great blade.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have a Benchmade mini-barrage that is very office friendly. You might also look at their 940 line. Kershaw leeks are also nice and slim.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be biased, but I think the Spyderco Delica would fit the bill. Lightweight, slim, with a 2-7/8" blade. For in-pocket carry you can remove the pocket clip and make it even slimmer. Easy to open and close with one hand. I carry one as my EDC knife. Meets all my cutting needs. The full-flat-grind VG10 models cut very well, hold an edge, but still relatively easy to keep sharp. I use mine nearly daily for small cutting tasks and I can go a month or two without touching up the edge. Plus, you can get it with different colored handles so it doesn't scream "tactical." I have one in light blue and another in purple. On top of that, they're not very expensive, typically around $65 or so.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
ZT0900
Benchmade Mini Griptillian
Kershaw Blur

Lots of good choices out there for what you want.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the ideas fellas. Lots of options to consider.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new favorite smaller knife is the Hinderer Half Track. Small, yet kind of substantial.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Delica, or Benchmade Bugout

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I need to be in coat and tie, I have a couple of William Henry knifes that are very easy to carry and meet your requirements. Granted, they are pricey, but they are the smoothest operating knives I own.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
AlMar, as high quality gentlemans knife as you might need.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another premium choice:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...reeve-knives-mnandi/

Chris Reeves Mnandi. They don’t get much nicer......

For a comparatively inexpensive Knife with great steel:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...inated-powder-steel/

The U2 also doesn’t look too aggressive in a Business environment. Takes a truly wicked edge!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Small Sebenza with the clip removed.

Do you require the blade to lock?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
3.25”, so might not be acceptable blade length for you, but ZT0450CF is what goes in my suit pants pocket.

Light, sturdy, and carbon fiber scales are good looking.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...-titanium-framelock/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A small Sebenza Insigno:
https://www.knifeworks.com/chr...ground-shipping.html

If I was picking low hanging fruit I'd seriously consider this one. It's a little thicker with the micarta but it's nice.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5860098334

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Another premium choice:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...reeve-knives-mnandi/

Chris Reeves Mnandi. They don’t get much nicer......

For a comparatively inexpensive Knife with great steel:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...inated-powder-steel/

The U2 also doesn’t look too aggressive in a Business environment. Takes a truly wicked edge!

The Mnandi has become my go to office environment knife...

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Mnandi is a nice luxurious choice. Benchmade makes some gent's knives in the same size range for less cheddar.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Mnandi. I've got one in the right pocket of my slacks as I type this. The little leather pouch it comes with makes it easy to toss in your pocket.

I love that it's a serious folder in an unassuming package. The lock up on it is rock solid; it's completely capable of taking on hard tasks if need be.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the ZT0770CF for "professional/dress" carry.

I EDC a ZT0562CF, but my "dress" knife is a 770CF. great knife with a deep carry clip that weighs damn near nothing. You'll hardly know it's their. And slips way down in the pocket to allow inconspicuous carry in the office.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how you guys do it. I can't stand anything much bigger than a Syderco Butterfly in front pants pocket if it doesn't use a clip. To me, that little knife is the equivalent of a gentleman's penknife of years past, and all I usually need in any kind of dress type atmosphere.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benchmade Valet is a nice choice - great blade steel and nice gent’s knife

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post