SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Hossom knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hossom knife Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted
Was fortunate enough to go to Blade this year. Jerry Hossom and I have been friends for a very long time. It was great to get to visit with him a bit. This is one of his knives and is the one that came home with me. Jerry makes a "mighty fine" knife.

This one is Damascus and mammoth ivory.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C L Wilkins,

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
oh yas, he was one of my major influences when i was getting started. i learned how to hollow grind from reading his advice and tips online and in print. never got to meet him in person, though.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
At Blade this year with Jerry.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I hate to ask, because I know the answer I'll get is "if you have to ask...".

That is beautiful!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerry Hossom

There's a chance that picture doesn't do the knife justice Big Grin

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Jerry's teenage son Alex just recently made a few knives and they are all outstanding.
When I saw a picture of his first knife (pictured) I was tempted to put the first knife I ever made in the trash!

Note the A. Hossom

CW

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:

CW

Beauty! Awesome design. I do believe the kid has a future.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
There is a magic involved in hollow grinding. I feel blessed to have learned how to grind in the style of Hossom and Gil Hibben. There is an art to it. There is also the math you have to do in real time and on the fly as you are grinding. It is always a challenge and so invigorating. Imagine doing geometry while you are painting a landscape. That is the best way I can describe it. I almost can't grind without my favorite music in the background, also. It just puts me in the right frame of mind. Imagine a 6'2", 225 wild man grinding and throwing sparks at 3AM with Temperance Movement wailing in the background. That is my happy place. Jerry was one of main influences, early on. He has been an inspiration to many young grinder monkeys, God bless him.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post