SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Strop vs steel - gimmick or real differences?

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strop vs steel - gimmick or real differences? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've been using a worksharp to sharpen knives and a steel between sharpening sessions. Generally have been pretty happy with the results.

I saw someone use a strop w/ some green goop. The knife seemed to be very sharp, probably sharper than my knives (which I consider to be pretty sharp). He was attributing it to using the strop.

Dumb question: how much sharpness does stropping add above using a sharpener like the worksharp (he was using a similar rotating type of device). Is the sharpness more about sharpening technique (for which he is probably better)? And strop is just marginal benefit?

Or does a strop have material and noticeable benefits after sharpening? Will I (a novice) see a benefit in using a strop after sharpening w/ the worksharp?

If strop is useful, how is a strop better than a steel? What do I look for in a (paddle strop? leather strop?)? Brand? All basically good enough - just a patch of leather? Or is the strop brand, leather type actually important? Recommendations? BeaverCraft paddle strop on Prime okay?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A312E2U64V7XLE&psc=1

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 8164 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A strop and steel do different things:

A steel is only for straightening the edge; that's why you do it between actual sharpening sessions.

A strop both straightens the edge and removes some of the metal, i.e. polishes/sharpens as well (especially if you're using abrasive compound).

So basically your friend is sharpening every time he strops, and always has a fresh edge.

Accu-strut for Mini-14
"Pen & Sword as One"

Posts: 12539 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Is a strop basically then a fine grit whetstone? Or are they two different things too?

Maybe I'll just buy one off Prime and try it. I have fine grit stones already that I use for Deba and Sashimi.

But for double edged blades, I use the worksharp and it's been pretty good. Haven't really needed anything more sharp. But the strop'ed blades do seem to be another level so it drew my curiosity.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin

Posts: 8164 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm. Is a strop basically then a fine grit whetstone?

Well, no, it's not because a whetstone doesn't have a dual function like a strop (straightens and sharpens simultaneously).

Stropping is mostly when you need maximum sharpness for every use, for example shaving razors. But it means you have to bust out the abrasive compound each time. Also I don't think it would be aggressive enough for a heavy use blade. It's more for a blade kept at optimal condition all the time, like that razor. You don't strop a camp ax (or maybe someone does? Who knows....)

For general use, like kitchen knives, stropping would be excessive. Much easier to sharpen at intervals, and just hone with a few strokes from a steel before use.

But if you like doing it, more power to you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

Accu-strut for Mini-14
"Pen & Sword as One"

Posts: 12539 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got it.

Okay, forgetting about strops. Sounds like not really indicated for my usages.