SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco has completely replaced Benchmade for me
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco has completely replaced Benchmade for me Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a capable-looking blade. I wouldn't mind having one, though like most of us, the last thing I need is another knife.

I can't get over the rise in price of Spyderco knives since I last bought one. Admittedly, this has been a few years, but it seems the price of these knives has far outpaced inflation.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107176 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
That’s sharp! Cool

I really have a thing for Tanto type blades.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Ive also switched, but I went from Kershaw to Spyderco...

Posts: 1954 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have to admit Spyderco prices have seen a sharp rise over the years. Still love their stuff.

I absolutely LOVE the Para3 and one of their less popular models the Lil’ Temperance.

I have always preferred the “Spydyhole” type deployment. Many of my Benchmades have that type of hole for deployment.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7615 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Picked up the new S45VN Paramilitary 2 & some of the titanium accessories have begun arriving.
New titanium scales have turned this into a knife I actually love all the way around vs making excuses for the cheap feel of them.
The chambered edges make this so ergonomically wonderful I’m now shopping for Titanium scales for my other PM2s.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Loved the feel of the Titanium scales on the S45VN that I ordered a set of countoured milled Flytanium scales for my DLT Sprint Run red G10 M390.
It’s split by my acid washed Maxamet PM2.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about replacing my PM2 & Manix2 scales with titanium for a long time. I just never got around to doing it. Did you run in to any difficulties? The only minor problem I can see is that looking at my PM2, it appears that the tube in the lanyard hole was spread apart slightly after the scales were put on. Sort of like a flange.

In addition to looking better, the titanium scales will certainly extend the life of pocket openings on your jeans.Smile The G10 is like sandpaper.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yeah the lanyard tube can be a pain but slow steady pressure & rotating it as you go gets it done without damage to the g10 scales.
One of the titanium pocket clip screws had to ground down on the Flytanium scales as it made contact with the titanium backspacer and caused a gap.
Other than that it’s just a simple parts swap.
The BladeHQ Stonewashed Titanium scales required no fitting of yhe Ti pocket clip screws & the feel better than the Flytanium scales.
As well as being less expensive but I do like the Bead Blasted finish on the Flytanium.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That glow in the dark Tanto edition was great.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My engraved titanium Aztec scales arrived.
I added them to my Maxamet acid washed PM2

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
The Spydies have certainly gone up in price, but I like them. Liked BM knives better, but now that they are persona non grata, I'm doing Spyderco and ZT.

I found a late 90s C42P Howard Viel online and it is coming later this week. Apparently it functions with the hole for thumb or finger and will work as a front flipper, too. Surprising, but, we'll see.

Found a Buck 110 conversion auto on line as well and, of course, had to have that one. Those 110s were very popular for LEOs back when I was a young one but were pretty slow to open.

We carried a match head under the blade near the point and tried other things to make them faster, but the auto conversion, as I understand it makes them near perfect. Still an awfully big knife for EDC.

My wife has had a Spyderco Delica for a couple of years now and, much to my surprise, hasn't lost it yet. She actually carries it and now no longer asks me why I carry a knife.

Edited to add:

I also got her a small auto, one of the Boker Dessert Warriors (not Desert) that looks kinda like a birthday cake when they were a little bit popular last year. Got her the small one and a large one for me and my buddy. She rarely carries it, however.

Still not sure why I had to have them.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Another Spyderco Seconds Sale in Golden has come & gone (always the Saturday before Black Friday...)

I'll typically try & hold out during the year to buy different models/steels during this sale as they are discounted deeply from what they originally sold for NIB.

They were able to hold an in-person sale this year; looking forward to trying out some new to me designs Big Grin

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 220 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’ve thinned the herd of Spyderco’s in my collection and gone titanium on most of the ones left. Latest is the Shaman.
Flytanium stonewashed scales & a Flytanium copper backspacer (still waiting for the copper plated titanium clip & hardware.
But while I wait I added a 20 DPS mirrored edge.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Benchmades. I don't mind them but they do feel and look dowdy. ZT is more like my style for pocket carry but it's been a while since I bought one. I do have one in my pocket everyday though. I don't have anything spyderco except for their sharpening stone and strop.

I last bought a clinchpick which works like a spyderco hole and an RPW X46 6" Bowie knife to fill out my need for fixed blades. I have the clinchpick by my buckle. And the RPW is for my battle belt. My go to utility knife on my desk is a cold steel tuff lite for opening packages and a sharper image steak knife with sheath for envelopes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19555 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post