SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco Para 3???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco Para 3??? Login/Join 
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted
Does anyone have one? Your thoughts, opinions? I have carried a Delica variation daily for at least the past 20 years and am having a hard time straying from it.

One of the real reasons I’m looking to change is due to the reviews of the PM2 in CPM S110V. I have heard that it is wicked sharp, but I’m not sure I need or want a 3.5” blade, as I’ve grown fond of the Delica. Too bad they don’t make the Delica with that same steel as the “Blurple” knives.

I just discovered the Para 3 is a smaller, but different version of the PM2.

Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I love my Para 3 in CPM-Cruwear, but I am not a heavy user. I have a Delica, as well, but It doesn't give me the enjoyment the Para 3 does. The Para 3 blade is thicker, the handle is thicker, and heavier, but I still really like it. I love the compression lock on the Para models. I enjoy carrying the Para 3 more than my Paramilitary 2 models. I carry my Delica if there is any risk of losing it, or confiscation.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've had a PM2 for a few years that I like, but never jumped on the PM3 bandwagon. I've found that a 3 1/2" blade is about ideal for my edc use. The only modern folder I have the 3" range is a Spyderco Native5, but that one performs way above it's size.

I haven't heard much, bad or good, about the PM3 since it came out, but Spyderco makes some very nice every day user knives, so if the PM3 is the size you're interested in, I'm sure it'll work just fine for you.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on a bit of a spree buying knives lately and the Manix 2 with the G10 grips is my newest acquisition. It's just a hare under 3.5" and the S110V steel is insanely sharp out of the box. This has a lock they call a captured ball bearing or something. It's similar to the Axis Lock on Benchmade and I quite like it but the way Spydercos fold does make it about as big as I'd want to carry since the blade doesn't fold fully into the body of the knife like my Benchmade 940 which is a similar length blade.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Sorry for the terrible pictures

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chewbackup
posted Hide Post
I keep telling myself that I need a PM3, but my regular carry knife is a PM2, and when I do switch to something a little smaller, it it a Benchmade Mini Grip. I also change it up on the smaller side with a delica, just don't know if the PM3 fits a role for me. If I find a deal on a PM3, I'll be all over it, but for the mean time I will be sticking with the PM2

I love my wife, kids, dogs, Sigs, and Glocks, knives--In no particular order!

Posts: 690 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
After 11+ years of EDC with an FRP Native I recently bought a CRUWEAR Para3. I liked the Native *very* well, both functionally and aesthetically, but wanted to try a 'nicer' knife with liners and screw assembly.

It's just what I wanted, tbh, though I'm not sold on the grey handles. Mechanically it's the bomb; very solid, very smooth, very (to me) attractive.

I've read that some people complain about hot-spotting in their palms with the stock clip. Has not been an issue for me and I have average-sized mitts. I've also read some don't like the compression lock, but again, no issues here- can open and close with one hand.

It was crazy sharp out of the box, and I've had no issues maintaining it with the brown Sharpmaker rods. I did do a reprofile with my edge pro, but that was mostly to ensure I knew what I was working with/get it setup similar to my other knives.

It's my new EDC; the Native is in the safe for when my 9yo is old enough. I like it, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you like how it looks and the blade is an appropriate size for you. No pics; looks remarkably like the gray one in Vgex's photos (well, mebbe a bit dirtier...)

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I had a Para 3 and decided it was too small. Went out and bought the Para 2 in S110V and I love it. Funny thing is I've never been a big knife kinda guy.

I sold the Para 3 on the forum and I saw a few months later that it was back up for sale.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Right before I got on an auto kick, I picked up a para 3 and I love it. I always liked the para 2 though it was too big for me for edc. When I saw and held the 3 I knew I had to have one. It's about the same size as a Delica though more robust and better in every way. Ergos are spot on for me and it is plenty of blade length for all my edc needs. I love the compression lock too compared to a liner or lock back. Here's a pic of a 2 and a 3 comparison. Need to take one with a Delica.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Para 2 is big, but carries as if it were a bit smaller than it is. It is thinner than competitors like Hinderer designs and other bulky 3.5" blades.

The Para 3 is a little more than 1/2" shorter when folded. That isn't nothing, but it isn't a huge difference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
The 3 is the perfect size.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! I still can't make up my mind, so I'm going to put both of them on my Amazon wish list that my wife/family always asks for when they want gift ideas. Big Grin

Hopefully this weekend I can get out to a couple local shops and get the knives in my hands side by side.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I've carried the PM2 daily for about 4 years. So I was REALLY excited when the PM3 got introduced. They made my favorite knife just a bit smaller and I had to have one. Anyways, its a fantastic knife and size. Loved everything about it EXCEPT when clipped in pocket, it rides much higher than the pm2, and I could not get over it. I ended up selling it to fund other purchases. Still carry the pm2.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
I've carried the PM2 daily for about 4 years. So I was REALLY excited when the PM3 got introduced. They made my favorite knife just a bit smaller and I had to have one. Anyways, its a fantastic knife and size. Loved everything about it EXCEPT when clipped in pocket, it rides much higher than the pm2, and I could not get over it. I ended up selling it to fund other purchases. Still carry the pm2.

Well that's a valuable real-world tidbit right there....Thanks for posting! I absolutely LOVE my PM 2, and apparently it's status as my EDC remains secure! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I just lost my Delia which I very much liked I will have to give this a hard look.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few PM2s, and was really squeamish about getting a P3 - mostly because of all the internet bashing of the pocket clip. I finally said the heck with it and bought one.

1. As to the common complaint that too much of the handle is exposed above the pocket, this is easily remedied by reversing the pocket clip to a tip down configuration - which is how the PM2s are shipped. It leaves no more handle showing than - a PM2. This is perfectly acceptable for me and, presumably for an awful lot of the people who have bought PM2s for quite a while. If you absolutely have to have tip up carry then, yes, an after market pocket clip is indicated.

Frankly, I don't understand why Spyderco doesn't ship the P3 in tip down configuration, since the much beloved and accepted PM2 is shipped that way.

2. As to the pocket clip being uncomfortable in the hand, if one reverses the clip for tip down carry, it fits the hand exactly like - a PM2. Again, one doesn't hear complaints about the PM2 pocket clip being uncomfortable.

Incidentally, for my hand, the concave portion of the pocket clip, whether in tip up or tip down configuration on a P3, fits perfectly over the bulge of flesh below the middle finger. I find it solid and comfortable.

In fact, with the rounded edges on the scales and the general handiness of its size, God help me, I think I like the P3 better than the PM2.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post